Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression that tabs were supposed to open in the current window. I have the correct settings in options, but the tabs keep opening in a new window.

How do I fix this? The only way is to right click on the link. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
I was under the impression that tabs were supposed to open in the current window. I have the correct settings in options, but the tabs keep opening in a new window.

How do I fix this? The only way is to right click on the link. I must be doing something wrong.

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean. Tabs DO open in the current window but take the full screen. All your open tabs are listed across the top. Right-clicking gives you the option to open a link in a new tab or a new window.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I know if I click on a link it will open in a new window as opposed to a new tab, is that what you mean ?
But clicking on new tab\button opens a new screen in the same window giving you the tabs to swap between windows, I'm new to ie7 as well so I'm trying to get my head round it as you are.
I noticed in my settings there are 2 settings, one for pop ups and one for clicked links, I wonder if the click-able links are sometimes seen as pop ups which is why mine are opened in a new window incase yours is similar.
I just need to get to grips with the tool bars, it wont let me do what I want lol.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure what you mean. Tabs DO open in the current window but take the full screen. All your open tabs are listed across the top. Right-clicking gives you the option to open a link in a new tab or a new window.
The tabs are supposed to be on top in the same window. When I click on a link, it opens an entirely new window (on the bottom).

Thanks

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Well I've just tested this in mine and my above assumption seems correct, I believe these are being seen as pop up windows, thats why they are opening in new windows, go into your internet options and under general click on tabs, you have 2 sections near the bottom, one of them for pop ups, in that part set it to open in a new tab and save\exit, that should give you what you need.

·
Manager, TSF Articles
38,365 Posts
The tabs are supposed to be on top in the same window. When I click on a link, it opens an entirely new window (on the bottom).
That's right. If you click a link it will open up as a new window. If you want to open up a link as a new tab, hold down CTRL then click the link.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've just tested this in mine and my above assumption seems correct, I believe these are being seen as pop up windows, thats why they are opening in new windows, go into your internet options and under general click on tabs, you have 2 sections near the bottom, one of them for pop ups, in that part set it to open in a new tab and save\exit, that should give you what you need.
That did the trick. God, I love you guys!

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My tab still doesn't work

Ok, I am having problem with my tab too, I did the setting as describe above but same thing happen (link always open in new window).
See this didn't use to be like this, when I first install IE7 tab was working great, I could open link in tab by pressing on middle-mouse (pressing down on the mouse-wheel). But umm pretty much one day out of the blue, all my tab starts to open in new window!!! (Now tab doesn't work even ifI hold on to CTRL, weird huh?)
I already try to un-install IE7 and reinstall... still doesn't work *.* Any help would be appreciated, it's totally weird cause TAB is working just fine on my other computer, just not on my laptop which is kinda annoy cause it's part of the reason I upgraded to IE7. I thought it may be addon that's screwing it up but I've already checked that and disable all the extra uneeded addon.
Is there any other place that contain settings related to tab operation?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.