Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,098 Posts
Nikita said:
Hi! I work in a small office and we're networked using wireless technology. We currently use a T1 as our primary network connection, which we aren't sharing yet, and we have cable as our back up which is faster. We are using cat5 from the wall to our router. A very very short distance. Does this inhibit our network? Should we be using fiber instead? I just don't understand why such a heavily shared medium, our cable access, would be faster than our T1???? Any advice?
As previously stated, your wired speeds aren't your problem, if you have a number of wireless workstations, you could easily saturate the bandwidth of the wireless connection since it's multiplexed between all the stations.

·
Global Moderator
Electronic Design
52,098 Posts
You will never get anything close to the quoted bandwidth of an Ethernet connection, there is a lot of prococol overhead involved in transferring data on an Ethernet wire. Ethernet uses CSMA/CD to transfer data, and 70-80% bandwidth is the maximum you can realistically ever expect.

In addition to the basic limitations of the wire, your NIC's and your system will limit the maximum throughput you can get. I can copy large files across my network and get 6mb/sec throughputs, and that's all I've ever expected to get.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.