Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I work in a small office and we're networked using wireless technology. We currently use a T1 as our primary network connection, which we aren't sharing yet, and we have cable as our back up which is faster. We are using cat5 from the wall to our router. A very very short distance. Does this inhibit our network? Should we be using fiber instead? I just don't understand why such a heavily shared medium, our cable access, would be faster than our T1???? Any advice?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
A "Full T" - a full T1 - is theoretically 1.54Mbps. Conceiveably, you could get more bandwidth over cable download.

If you're using Category 5 cable, your max theoretical throughput is going to be 100Mbps. The Cat5 cable is not your bottleneck.

If you're all using Wireless, it is a shared medium. All of you are contending for the same "bandwidth" and all of your packets in wireless have to be acknowledged instead of every other few. So, you will NEVER attain the theoretical bandwidth of Wireless.

I doubt your router to the internet is loadbalancing across a cable connection and a T1, so odds are most of your internet connection is going over one connection.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Nikita said:
Hi! I work in a small office and we're networked using wireless technology. We currently use a T1 as our primary network connection, which we aren't sharing yet, and we have cable as our back up which is faster. We are using cat5 from the wall to our router. A very very short distance. Does this inhibit our network? Should we be using fiber instead? I just don't understand why such a heavily shared medium, our cable access, would be faster than our T1???? Any advice?
As previously stated, your wired speeds aren't your problem, if you have a number of wireless workstations, you could easily saturate the bandwidth of the wireless connection since it's multiplexed between all the stations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, guys. The fact that we're using wireless is really inconsequential. I don't know why I added that, just some background, I guess. We aren't connected to the T1 and the cble at the same time, the cable's a backup, considered by our powers that be, less reliable. It's good to know that the cat5 isn't a factor though. Tks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
only of my connections is 100Mbs, thats 12.5MB/s rite, well I'm only getting 5MB/s
Computer 1: P4 3GHz (XP), 1000/100/10Mbs Card or 400Mbs in USB mode
Computer 2: P3 550Mhz (Win2k3), 100/10Mbs Card or 400Mbs in USB mode

How do I get full speed?

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You will never get anything close to the quoted bandwidth of an Ethernet connection, there is a lot of prococol overhead involved in transferring data on an Ethernet wire. Ethernet uses CSMA/CD to transfer data, and 70-80% bandwidth is the maximum you can realistically ever expect.

In addition to the basic limitations of the wire, your NIC's and your system will limit the maximum throughput you can get. I can copy large files across my network and get 6mb/sec throughputs, and that's all I've ever expected to get.

·
Registered
58 Posts
A thing I have uncovered about T1 should alleviate any misconceptions most people have about it and its "blazing" speed (go for oc149... then you'll know speed *drool* .... gonna have to hunt down some new NICs though :angel: ).

Most people believe that T1 is a lot faster than cable, not true.

Cable has higher throughput (transfer speed of data), probably due to attenuation or something similar.

T1 has higher bandwidth, so allows for more information to be transfered without a slowdown in throughput...

So technically, T1 is better for a network, as it allows for more information at a cost of speed... which ultimately is better since the loss in speed isnt dramatic.

Also, as Mr. Wizard said, you'll never get max bandwidth (if im not mistaken it should be throughput... bandwidth is just the amount of data that can be sent... not the speed at which it can be...)

Each individual networking device (hub, bridge, switch, router) adds latency to your network (at the cost of reliability) increasing from hub to router (if I remember, a router can take up to a 20% toll on your network alone if it has a network specific configuration)

So if you lost me anywhere, throw in quick lamens.

T1 = More data, Cable = Data faster

·
Registered
58 Posts
vmail said:
Computer 2: P3 550Mhz (Win2k3), 100/10Mbs Card or 400Mbs in USB mode
I'm on a P3 600Mhz until I get my big bad AMD working again...

Why would you put win 2k3 on a 550? 98se sucks on it...

UPGRADE!!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I meant upgrade the CPU... I'm on a 600 MHz, 98se system (my old one that sucks that i was using as comparison) while my other computer is dead... *mourn*

Upgrading the OS will only make the system run slower, methinks o_O

In addition... what is the 550? mail server?

·
Registered
277 Posts
That PC is not the main PC, used for wordprocessing etc, original OS was Win98SE, had problems like Blue screen of Death and Windows incorrecly reporting free space, XP cured it, XP,2000,2k3 all work ok on that PC

·
Registered
58 Posts
you use a seperate PC for word processing? isn't that the entire concept of "bigger, faster, harder, stronger" that you don't have to use multiple computers... its like you have a slave that doesn't do the menial tasks unless you walk them through it o_O

Not that I endorse slavery... I've just been playing Morrowind a lot lately...

·
Registered
277 Posts
have to use my old pc for summut, cant just bin it, I use the 3.3GHz PC (no one else) every1 else uses the 550MHz PC

·
Registered
58 Posts
ahhhh.... ya thats how this hunk of junk emachines was... until my good self made crashed =(... your's puts even that one to shame, but no matter

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
yellowduck said:
A thing I have uncovered about T1 should alleviate any misconceptions most people have about it and its "blazing" speed (go for oc149... then you'll know speed *drool* .... gonna have to hunt down some new NICs though :angel: ).

Most people believe that T1 is a lot faster than cable, not true.

Cable has higher throughput (transfer speed of data), probably due to attenuation or something similar.

T1 has higher bandwidth, so allows for more information to be transfered without a slowdown in throughput...

So technically, T1 is better for a network, as it allows for more information at a cost of speed... which ultimately is better since the loss in speed isnt dramatic.

Also, as Mr. Wizard said, you'll never get max bandwidth (if im not mistaken it should be throughput... bandwidth is just the amount of data that can be sent... not the speed at which it can be...)

Each individual networking device (hub, bridge, switch, router) adds latency to your network (at the cost of reliability) increasing from hub to router (if I remember, a router can take up to a 20% toll on your network alone if it has a network specific configuration)

So if you lost me anywhere, throw in quick lamens.

T1 = More data, Cable = Data faster
Hmm. T1 is an industry term specifying a leased line from the Telco which is a guranteed bandwidth of 1.54Mbps. You can have "frac T's" which is Fractional T1 with the same physical connection with less bandwidth.

Cable OTOH, is a physical medium. The bandwidth is different between upstream and downstream and is controlled by the Cable company. Also, cable, for internet purposes, is a shared medium, so the throughput depends on other users in the same "segment".

Like you say, T1 is just a term people have heard without understanding what it was and thought that if you had one, it must be fast! And there is a lot of misunderstanding about duplex, load balancing, etc. We have 3 T1's servicing this location - does it mean I get 3Mbps+ throughput when I'm downloading a file? NO! We have a device loadbalancing across the T1's - my "stream" still only goes one direction, it's not divided into 3 and sent out 3 "pipes". Additionally, I'm not the only one here using any given T1.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.