Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little earlier today I left the house to go run some errands and shut my pc down before doing so. When I got back home and tried turning the pc on nothing happened.
I have a HP Pavillion pc that's about 6 or so years old. On the front of the tower is a single power button with a light above it that turns on when the pc is started up. When I hit the button nothing at all happened. No sound, no lights, nothing. I hit the button repeatedly, tried holding the button in for a few seconds, nothing. Eventually a few moments later I hit the button and it fired up.
The system is on for now (and I'll probably leave it on until I know what's going on), but I was wondering if anyone out there could offer an idea of what has caused this. I thought maybe it needed some time to "cool down", but it really hasn't been on much today (in fact, I always try to keep it shut down when it's not in use). I understand it's a relatively older system, but I find it odd that nothing like this has ever happened before. Anyways, any help anyone could offer with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Sounds like you may have a lose connection somewhere, Check the connections at the motherboard and at the switch (some cases have a small pc board behind the switch with a plug on it) also check and make sure the Power cord is plugged in tight. The fact that it started after you hit it makes me lean that way. :sayyes: By the way, When was the last time the inside cleaned?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, sorry about that. When I said I "hit" it, I just meant that I pushed the power button. I never actually hit it. lol Sorry about that.
Anyways, the inside of the tower has never actually been clenaed. Yes I am ashamed to admit that, but I've always kinda been afraid to take the cover off and go in there for fear of messing something up. I'm kind of a computer dumbass like that. I'll give it a shot though. Anything I should know first before taking the cover off? I'm not really sure what the motherboard looks like, so can I assume to check the connection at whatever is on the other end of what the power switch is connected to? Also, am I correct in thinking that you're supposed to use compressed air to clean the insides? Thanks alot for the help!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Seriously When working with electronics. Picking it up (2-3 in) and dropping the front is or whole cabinet or a slap on the side of the case is acceptable. :sayyes: The intent is to jar any loose connections or possably screws, clips that may have been displaced. In testing it's done to make sure that nothing is going to come loose with a good jar. :smile: Of course we are talking submarine electronic's. :3-laugh1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.