Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having trouble with my computer on Friday, it would freeze a few minutes after start up. All programs would be "not responding". I would restart it and the same thing would happen.

I ran Rkill in case there was anything malicious running and nothing was found. I ran Malwarebytes as well and nothing was found. I used combo fix to restore my system to a previous date and the problem persisted.

The system would freeze even at the log in screen if I waited more the a few minutes to log on. Time is some sort of factor.

Start up repair "disk metadata test said the root cause was 'Volume on disk corrupt' Repair action chkdsk Error code OxO.

A few other tests that are available (or automatically performed themselves before start up) mentioned NTFS but I did not get a chance to write it down.

NOW when I turd on the computer that scrolling windows progress bar goes by a few times before I get a completely black screen on which I can still move my cursor.

Please Help.

·
Enthusiast
4,527 Posts
Either windows Vista needs re-installing, a Factory Recovery is required, or the hard drive is starting to fail and therefore needs replacing with a new one.

You can test the hard drive with the drive manufacturer's diagnostic software. You will need to download the DOS version which runs from a bootable CD. The download contains an ISO file for creating the CD. The links are here: Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know it's been a while but I never made any progress with this.

I made myself a seatools.iso CD since I have a Seagate drive. It does not boot upon start up and I don't see any of the options given here How to configure the boot sequence in the system BIOS or CMOS. either to configure the Bios.

There is discernible pattern as to what happens when I power it up. Sometimes the screen stays black, with a single flashing _ in the top left corner, sometimes it gives me the option to start in safe mode, very rarely it gives me the option to run tests.

What it never does is start properly. The scrolling bar for vista sometimes appears but the screen goes dark with an unmovable cursor arrow after that.

If all else fails what are my chances of recovering my data?

·
Registered
41,122 Posts
Make sure you burned the ISO image correctly to CD. Try using IMGBurn in my signature. Boot into Setup (Bios) and go to the Boot Order, and make sure that CD rom drive is First boot device. Put in the CD and reboot, you should see the message Press Any Key to Boot From CD.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.