Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've had this HTPC computer for about 6 months now. System specs are at the bottom. It was working fine but one day I got the BSOD saying it was being shut down to prevent further damage. Upon trying to reboot it would die right after the windows logo comes up. I just reinstalled WINDOWS and it booted back up. I watched about an hour and half of TV after that and fell asleep. An hour later I woke up and found I was looking at a black screen. Trying to reboot again caused it crash when WINDOWS went to load and it automatically rebooted itself. I reinstalled WINDOWS again and it would boot WINDOWS on the original install, but after rebooting I get the same crashing. I am able to load up in safe mode, I'm not sure how long though. If I load up in the "Enable VGA" mode it will load for about 5 minutes or less before I get a BSOD. When watching it boot it appears to crash out when the graphics attempts to switch to the vidcard drivers (newest NVIDIA-I've tried older ones too). I booted into VGA mode and tried to switch from the 640x480 mode to 1080i mode and this immediately BSOD'ed me. I also noticed that the ASUS logo that loads up when the BIOS first loads is corrupted. There are lines and pixels out of place. Same thing happened when I upgraded the BIOS to the newest version. This originally led me the blame the RAM. But I swapped both DIMM's out and tried them in another computer and they worked fine. I searched around the net for similar problems and I noticed that a lot of people were having problems with the chipset fan on the MOBO. I checked to see if my chipset fan was spinning. When I first booted up the computer it did NOT spin. I tried swapping out the fan for a heatsink but I still get the same problems. So now I'm not sure if I've burnt my chipset fan to a crisp or if the problem is actually in my vidcard. When I swapped the chipset fan out I noticed ASUS used a tape over chipset. This tape was black however the silver part of the chip looked to be fine. I did not notice any blackness or signs of damage. So now my question is, what's wrong? I'm fairly sure it's a problem either with the Vidcard or the Chipset but I don't know how to figure out which one. Any ideas? I don't have the option of putting the vidcard in a different machine because this is the only PCie mobo I have. I also don't have any other PCIe vidcards to swap in. Any insight would be much appreciated. I use this machine as my only PVR so it's absolutely killing me not to be able to use this computer. Thanks.

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MOBO
2x512mb DDR PC3200 Mushkin RAM
1 AMD ATHLON 3100Ghz processor
3x250GB SATA HDD (Western Digital, Hitachi & Maxtor)
2xHauppauge 150 PVR
1xDvico Fusion 3 Gold HDTV
380w Antec Power Supply
MSI Geforce 6600GT vid card 128mb
1xLiteon DVD-R
Windows MCE

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
see if you can borrow a 550w antec or something of similar quality to put in and see if the problem disappears

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.