Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I will apologise in advance if this question has been asked several times before and answered but I am unable to find an answer to solve my specific problem as the other answers seem to be generic solutions.

I am having a problem with my system restore point being restored. I am getting an error message that my restore point could not be completed.

I can create restore points and have several 'points' for the last two months. I deleted some software recently and found that i was not able to install a new version of the deleted software (Adobe). As i need it to run some videos I thought I would do a system restore, as I had created a restore point specifically for the deletion of the adobe software.

Anyway I cannot get my system to perform a successful restore using the System Restore feature of Windows XP SP2. It goes through all of the steps, reboots and I log back in, then I get a message that the system cannot be restored to the checkpoint I selected. I have tried several other check points within a couple of days of the one i specifically want. This happens regardless of the checkpoint I select.

I have spent a couple of days searching the internet via google and read the responses posted. No luck there with the suggestions posted.

I have gone into the Microsoft site - Troubleshooting steps for issues when you try to use the System Restore tool in Windows XP, and followed the information provided for the advanced user. I have booted up using SAFE MODE and I have logged in with my Administrator rights. None of the suggestions on the Microsoft website work. I am still getting the error message of an 'incomplete restore'.

I did see a post on line regarding the possibility of a 'virus' being in the restore point and that Windows (?) will not allow a check point with a virus to be re-installed. I ran Avast! over my C:\ and found three virus's embedded in the restore point recently created and one with in the root of C:\. I removed (deleted) the identified virus files from the System Restore point and the file from the root of C:\. I then logged out of my profile and closed down, rebooted, logged in and then logged off again (just to ensure the Hives were good). On the second reboot I entered SAFE MODE and my Admin profile to do a System Restore. At the completion of the restore and after I logged into my 'normal' profile - not Administrator, I still received the same error message of an 'Incomplete' check point restore.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Cheers,

Craig.

·
Registered
40,982 Posts
ran Avast! over my C:\ and found three virus's embedded in the restore point recently created and one with in the root of C:\. I removed (deleted) the identified virus files from the System Restore point and the file from the root of C:\
You can do the System Restore as Admin in Safe Mode and reboot into Safe Mode. If it completed the Restore, then boot normally. It sounds like Avast removed the virus and and in the process removed some of the Restore files as well. You are probably not going to be able to do a system restore. Which is just as well as you will just reinfect yourself. I would boot in normally and turn off system restore which will remove all restore points, then click on the link in my signature for Virus/Malware Help and make sure they give you a clean bill of health, then turn System Restore back on and do a Restore point for today if everything is working well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hi Spunk.funk,

Thanks for the reply.

I have a question regarding some information you have provided -
It sounds like Avast removed the virus and and in the process removed some of the Restore files as well. You are probably not going to be able to do a system restore.
Avast identified the virus files with in the individual folders (eg RP387) and I physically deleted the file (only, not the folder) after doing a visual inspection of the file itself in the restore folder.

Does system restore require every file 'archived' in the check point to be restored?

So deleting any identified virus files in the system restore check point was to no advance in assisting with the re-establishment of a previous check point?

Would it be advantageous to recover the deleted files, clean them and place them back into the restore point folders in their original positions?

Just to further my knowledge, so I am going off topic a little. When a restore point is created, there is something similar to an index created listing all files & types within the restore point. So when it comes time to re-install that particular check point, if the physical files do not match the indexed files, system restore will not complete the install of the restore point. Is this correct?

Cheers.

·
Registered
40,982 Posts
System Restore backs up crucial system files, so if there is a disaster, you can restore your Windows files easily. System Restore usually makes a Restore Point every time you install a driver or software automatically. It does not backup personal files (ex) pictures, documents, music etc. Since the invention of System Restore, just about all viruses infect the restore points, making them useless, there isn't really a way to totally clean them up. Many viruses and malware programs are not detected by many AV programs. You need 2 or 3 programs to clean an infected computer. So, if you cleaned your computer and then did a System Restore you would only re-infect your computer.
The best solution is to totally clean your computer, do all Windows Updates, update drivers etc, and then create a Restore Point. The best defense is to always keep a current backup on an external drive.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Spunk.funk,

Once again thanks.

I have clicked on the link in your signature block (virus/malware help), it has redirected me to external pages with several pieces of software to be downloaded.

Is the piece of software you are suggesting I use called "Clean & Repair Windows Errors"?

Cheers.

·
Registered
40,982 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.