Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I need guidance regarding how to do system restore to a restore point 6 months or even older.

Os i have: xp sp3

Around about 2 weeks back i upgraded my system to sp3 for that i created system restore point.

But the problem is when i go to do system restore it doesn't show me the restoration point about 2 weeks old in the list rather it only shows and allows to new restore points created within 5-6 days and that does not include that restore point which i created b4 sp3 installation.

So.Is there a way to do system restore to a restore point 6 months or even older? does window allows it or any third party software which helps me retain older restore points?

Note-i tried doing it via safe mode also but didn't helped, also the space alloted for system restore is maxed out.

Thanks in advance

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,619 Posts
System Restore was never designed to reverse the major changes made by a a service pack update. For that reason all prior restore points will be deleted.

System Restore works best when used as soon as possible after a problem develops. On the few occasions I have used the feature it has always been with the most recent restore point. The further back you go the more likely the restore will fail or cause more problems than it solves. Going back 6 months is almost certain to fail. System Restore was never designed for that.

Why do you need to go back that far? There is almost certain to be a better way.

·
Registered
40,982 Posts
You can adjust how much space you use for System Restore, if you have more HDD space, you can increase it.
If you want to go back to a time before you installed SP3, you can uninstall it in Add Remove Programs.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
System Restore was never designed to reverse the major changes made by a a service pack update. For that reason all prior restore points will be deleted.

System Restore works best when used as soon as possible after a problem develops. On the few occasions I have used the feature it has always been with the most recent restore point. The further back you go the more likely the restore will fail or cause more problems than it solves. Going back 6 months is almost certain to fail. System Restore was never designed for that.

Why do you need to go back that far? There is almost certain to be a better way.
Ok thanks for that info
but do u know of any third party software that can maintain restore points not for 6 months ,lets say for a month atleast?:cry::cry:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can adjust how much space you use for System Restore, if you have more HDD space, you can increase it.
If you want to go back to a time before you installed SP3, you can uninstall it in Add Remove Programs.

thanks,

hmm 1 question, does deleting sp3 from add and remove will completely negates all the changes it might have made to the system or some changes stay hidden foreever?:popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
40,982 Posts
If you uninstall SP3 (not recommended) it will remove the changes since the SP was installed. The best way to revert back to a time when your computer was working good, is when you get to a place where your computer is running great, clone the HDD to a USB HDD. As time goes on, if you get a virus or some other problem, and you want to revert the system, you can restore the clone to your computer to take you back to that time when the computer was last cloned.

·
Helper
4,126 Posts
I would think you could just create a NEW Restore Point, then copy the System Volume Information folder to a flash drive in a folder with that date.

Sounds plausible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.