Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there!

I'm having some trouble with system restore.
I recently installed a ramdrive on my XP system and configured IE to use it as a cache. I also made a batch file that runs at startup as a service to format the ramdrive and create some folders in it. The ramdrive works great.

But now, when I create a restoration point with the system restore tool, that I reset my computer and then use the system restore tool again, my restoration points are all gone from the list. Even those created regularly by windows are gone after reboot.

I checked the event logs and I found an error from source "sr" that says:

Le filtre de restauration du système à rencontré l'erreur inattendue
'0xC0000023' pendant le traitement du fichier 'Temp01' sur le volume
'Ramdisk'. Ceci a entraîné l'arrêt de la surveillance du volume.

(Yeah, I have a french system)
So 'Temp01' is the first folder created in my ramdisk at startup. It seems that system restore service is trying to acces my ramdrive at startup.

But it work fine when I reboot in safe mode right after creating a new restoration point. I checked the list in the system restor tool and the restoration points were showen correctly and usable. So my problem is only in normal mode.

If you have a way of excluding my ramdrive of the system restore process, or any other idea that would solve my problem, please reply.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm guessing but wouldn't the RAMDRIVE store things temporarily?...System Restore might be reading it as resetting or disable or something similar when you reboot and so it deletes all restore points. Can you disable it in System Restore Settings?...or maybe right clicking the RAMDRIVE/properties?

I set one up but it slowed things down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The R: Drive (my ramdisk) is not present in the "control panel/system/system restore" tab. I was thinking that maybe I could add the R: in the registry and THEN disabling it. I dont know where in the registry to find this. Or is it in some ini file?

But I know for sure that when I create a restore point, sytem restore doesnt check the ramdisk. There's no "System Volume Information" folder created in the ramdrive like it does in the root of other drives. So why does it acces it at startup?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After doing a long search in my startup process, I found that the problem was part of the batch file that I created and was executed as a system service to initiate the ramdrive. And after experimenting with the commands I had in my batch file...

C:\WINDOWS\system32\format.com R: /FS:FAT /V:RAMDisk /Q /X /Y
MD R:\TempInternet
NET STOP RamDriveInit
exit

...I found that when I format the ramdrive and then create a folder on it, SR (system restore) service generates an error, shuts down and loses all its restoration points. It happened even when I formatted the ramdrive from "My Computer" and then created the folder on it myself.

Then I fiddled around with SR and my batch file service and fixed my problem without knowing at first.
Turns out that if you activate SR while a ramdrive is present but not formatted, SR will generate errors when you format the ramdrive afterwards.

So to fix my problem:
1- I deactivated SR completely.
2- Reboot.
3- Formatted my ramdrive.
4- Reactivated and setup SR.

My theory is that if a low space drive (like a ramdrive) is mounted but not formatted, SR wont be able to determine the drive's size. So SR wont exclude it from the surveillance routine.
If a mounted drive is formatted and SR reactivated after the format, SR will read that its a low space drive, exclude it from the surveillance routine and remember the exclusion as long as SR is not deactivated again from the system properties.

Now my restore points are kept after reboot and I hope this will help those who stumble on the same problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.