Tech Support Forum banner

system restore blank box

2299 Views 12 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  jamjps
My son's HP Compaq V6700 laptop running Windows XP Pro has lost the system restore. When i try to open it, I only get a blank box. This happened with the Search box to, having only the little dog in the corner without any options but I got the fixed by registering regsvr32 jscript.dll.
I followed instructions in this article Several dialog boxes are blank for the system restore but the registry was already the way it was supposed to be. I tried part of restoring the file with msconfig but am not sure I had the right paths because I have no disc since XP came preinstalled.
I also made sure the System restore service was running, enabled on the selected drives and that there's enough space. Checked for errors in event viewer and found none.
Tried to open it in safe mode with same results. Also ran safe mode with command prompt with the command "%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe" which also brought up the blank box.
Ran scans and didn't find anything serious.
What else can I do to get the system restore dialogue box back???
Oh, also ran sfc /scannow.
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This may have been caused by an infection. I would suggest reading the stickies and then posting in Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum

Otherwise, you may still be able to create your recovery disks though HP's tool. (Don't have an HP here right now and I don't remember the name of it) Or you may be able to order the Recovery disks from HP. They don't always have them available, but it's worth a try. They usually cost about $20-$30.
Thanks, I'll check the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help - Tech Support Forum. I do have the recovery discs I made when I got him the laptop....... I meant I didn't have the official XP Pro installation disc.
Good. The recovery disks are what you need to get it back. XP is included on the disk. It's basically a factory image. You'll probably want to clean off the garbage that will be included, but the disks do work well.
I have had SP3 installed since the purchase of the laptop. Will that be a problem?
No. If SP3 was installed by HP, then the disks will include SP3. If not, you can always update it again. A bit of a pain, but you do need to do it. You can get your updates faster by using Windows Updates in the Start menu.
I purchased the laptop on 2-15-08 from HP's website. Do you happen to know if SP3 was out by then? Is there anyway I can find out if it was preinstalled or not?
So, you think a fresh install would be the best option?
The SP3 release date was Apr. 21, 2008, so no, it's probably not on that disk.

Not necessarily. If you already posted in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help form, let them walk you through fixing things. If you haven't, do so. It can probably be fixed without taking the drastic step of reinstalling. I brought it up since you had already mentioned it.

IMHO, and in the way I work with my customers, a reinstall is my last resort with virus removal. Granted, I have a killer instinct with this garbage. I love hunting it down and killing it. If I reinstall, the virus has beaten me. ;-)

Because of the policies of this forum, and because I haven't been trained to do it in a forum setting, I can't help you remove it here.
Thanks. I did post in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum but haven't gotten a reply as of yet.
Give them time, they are very busy. In my business, virus removal is my main source of income. Probably 75% of the computers I get in are for virus removal and the other 25% mostly have viruses on them as well as the original problem they were brought in for. ;-)

If it is determined that a reinstall is the best move, stop back here if you need help with it.
I ran Malwarebytes, Spybot, Spysweeper and Microsoft Security Essentials. They found some things but supposedly removed them. Mostly cookies.
Was that what was suggested in your thread in the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum? Please wait for them if not.
I'm sorry, I had already done that before I posted here at all. Like you, (although not as knowledgeable) I do everything I can before admitting defeat. I really thought it was a corrupt registry until I checked everything I read about and it was all as it should be.
I will do no more until advised!!!!!!!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Not open for further replies.