Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my computer's system resources get very low a REAAL lot and my computer freezes. Usually when I am running a big program or am playing a game. They just fall dramastically. I know it's my system resources that make the computer freeze is because one day, I was running a big map editing program for my game. (Any game does this) Anyways, I was curious and looked at my system resources. They were 8% and were dangerously low! Then my computer froze, before that everything was getting slow. I have used Spybot Search and Destroy and AVG Anti-Virus software and found nothing. They should just fall right away. Sometimes I will be 1minute into game and it would freeze! And if a sound was playing when it froze, it would keep repeating the sound. I hate this so much. It has now gotten to where I cant even play my games without fear of it freezing! Please help me, I really hate this freezing. Thanx!

P.S.- My system resources when I startup machine are around 93, 90%. Bye!

·
Registered
89 Posts
hi dude,
it would help us if you could tell us your sys specs,

EG Processor, Ram etc....

you also say that when you boot there is around about 90-95% rescources do you have loads of stuff runnin at start up......

also what specific apps/games are you runnning, as this may help up locate the problem...

PeAcE
Dz

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
1st of all Jack up you memory....more the better...and too much cant hurt...I think w98 has a 2GB limit but if your board can handel more then upgrade to XP...this wont give you more resouces but will speed up the machine and it might help when resouces are low

Whats running in the backround....all programs take up resources...including AV and spybot....hit control- alt -and delete and end things....watch your resouces come back....yes you need expoler to run....ending that will reboot the computer...but see what gives you the most resources back...then uninstall and reinstall it...a bad install will mess with you resouces...or better yet if you dont need it uninstall it all togerther....ask your self do you need AOhell to run in the back round ...even thoughyou playing a game...no !!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Win98
ECS K7S5A Motherboard
AMD Athlon XP
1.5GHZ
GeForce2 MX400 64MB
512MB of SDRAM

At startup, I have 1 application that starts. It makes my joystick work. It doesn't really eat alot of resources and froze before I got the joystick. And I got to many games to list, they freeze in all of them(if there big)(which also means good). But I play BattleField 1942 alot and it freezes alot in there.

-I think I got enough memory Doonz. And I cant afford WinXP.

·
Registered
89 Posts
weeel

from what i can remeber if you are using win98 then afding more ram would slow your machine down, i seem to remeber reading someware that win98 (fe)&(SE) cannot corectly address above 256 mb of ram...

as for BF1942 freezing, that has got something to to withthe drivers for your geforce card, i had the exact same problem, i managed to solve my problem by drooping the hardware accelartion in dxdiag, this solved it for a while but then it camr back. my advice would be chuck the geforce mx400/40 and go for a geforce ti2400 wich will cost around £150, dunno about $ so yourll have to have a looksee.

as for running outa resources, is their a specific program that it happens with (more than others) as this program could have a memory leak.

PeAcE
Dz

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
u know waht? during bootup i hit escape when the win98 logo came up and it said error memory manager error! hmmmmmm........so u think i cant have above 256 RAM? but u said U THINK. try to confirm it or not. and all games freze btw. i reinstalled the video driver before. i am not rich, cant afford a ti4600! my video card is fine, bf1942 is fine. every game freezes not just bf1942. so...........

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
oobootsy1 said:
but u said U THINK. try to confirm it or not. and all games freze btw.
:tongue2: He's not your personal IT department, if your gonna order someone to answer a question and their not on your payroll .. a "please" is always helpful.

Anyway, just to be sure we have the basics out of the way:

* Run a virus scan
* Run a spy-ware scan
* Run Defrag & Scandisk
* Confirm all the latest updates for your OS are in place.
* Make sure your running the latest driver (for your OS) that the manufacturer of your card put out.
* Also Win98 still uses the /autoexec.bat and /config.sys files I believe, take a look at them and see what they have in them, make sure your config.sys file in particular isn't going crazy loading things via the "device=" command.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry. forgot to say please lol. n e ways, did a virus scan,m did a spyware scan, havent done scan disk or defrag(gonna do), win98 is up-to-date(i think, how do i check), and config.sys is like it was when u reinstall windows. i checked microsofts website, found the error, but there crappy service didnt fix it.

btw it says

Memory Manager Not Detected
And sumthin with SB after that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
well please woulda been nice........

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

and i didnt say the ti4600 i said the ti4200 wich is £150, and without it you will always experince poor preformance on games as the mx seris "just dont have the power"

as for your mem manager problem did u install a third party one or is it failing while loading himem.sys???

PeAcE
Dz

·
Manager, The Conversation Pit/Analyst, Security Te
14,513 Posts
I am just curipus as to what your memory is. Go to contol panel, then system to see what it is. If things continue to flake out on you, you can always reload windows or format and reload windows. You can always try the video card but 150 pounds is close to $200 and reloading windows is free. Good luck!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i already reloaded windows98 in attempt to get USB working and it works. will before i take back the 512MB of RAM chip and put in 256, i wanna get this system resources problem fixed! i dont got 200$ either, not even close. THO my birthday is comin up, dont think my mom would buy that for me.

the error is on microsofts websitew

its like

Memory Manager Not Detected
SB16 sumthin sumthin sumthin
SB16 sumthin sumthin sumthin

-i updated my sound card drivers and still freezes. the MX400 isnt bad card, it works with all games, i just dont got the money to get the ti4200.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
hello oobootsy1,
SB 16 refers to Sound Blaster 16....and what is "sumtin sumtin sumtin....." ????

what version of directx are you running ?

:D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got directx 8.1. sumthin sumthin sumthin means I forgot!!!!!! and everyone else, plz dont go off to updating my computer already when my comp freezes 24/7!!! my vid card is fine and works with all games and is fairly good on my end. so worry about the low system resources and freezing problem of mine PLZ!!!!!!

dont mean to be offensive if u fell that about this. srry

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
ok to fix this you have to: sumthin sumthin sumthin. :rolleyes:

See how annoying it can be when someone leaves out vital details and replaces them with meaningless words?
--End Object Lesson for today--

also, lets see yeah .. you know you do come off as mildly offensive .. I'm just saying.

Now to the point:
*Did you try everything I suggested and what where the results?
*How long does it take for you to notice the resources disappear?
*Does it happen while your on your desktop doing nothing, or does the drop occur only during/after a game?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
well, go on microsofts website and look at the error! search for Memory Manager Not Detected Error and itll be there. and my comp froze like 5minutes ago again, and i rebooted, and the error didnt come up. i guess it comes up every now and then. i havent defagmented yet tho or scan disk. i will go defrag right now. then scandisk after that maby or tommorow. i dont notice if resources disapear, but sometimes if i am running a big application thats not full screen like Kazaa, they start droping. even with a map editor for a game, they drop. yesterday they were 61% when i was just looking at kazaa! the freeze happens like i said, when i am running sumthin that is big like a map editor for a game, a game(o yea!), anything big and juicy. so in other words, anything cool! thx everyone for helping me with this so far!:winkgrin:

-EDIT-btw nothing of mine is pirated or a illegal copy. i just dl music from kazaa, nutin else:tongue2:

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
oobootsy1 said:
btw nothing of mine is pirated or a illegal copy. i just dl music from kazaa, nutin else:tongue2:
I hear tell that the music companies think of Kazza music downloads as pirated property, has this changed while I wasn't looking? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
nope nothings changed, Illegal pirated copies of music are still illegal go figure. But thats a discussion for a different topic cause that whole issue gives me a headache.

If your running kazaa have you checked for viruses and trojans like really really good because that file sharing network is a haven for anything nasty, heck the music industry is even getting into the game these days with their "bomb drop recordings". :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.