Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seeing a start-up warning frequently these days warning that my System Resources have dropped since the last time I started the computer.

This is a Gateway Utility called, surprisingly enough, Gateway Resource Assistant. The Assistant says my Resources are at 79% - but if I right click on My Computer and take a look at Performance I see that it is reporting Resources at 73%. In either case, I guess I'm low.

Where should this number be in a perfect world? and what might I begin to do to hunt down the offending gremlins.

Thanks-

-bob

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
Hi,

I have experience with the GRA as well (downloaded it very recently during a massive patch/update session). The 70%-ish figure you see is about standard. I see this message quite frequently, and I am assuming that it is common for this program to freak out whenever something small happens. I would not be concerned with it if I were you, but here are some things you can do to increase rescources:

-stop programs from loading at startup: see http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article03-106 for instructions on how to do this. The reason to do this is because all the programs that run in your system tray take up a lot more resources than you would think. Before you do crazy things to kill them, see if when right clicking them you have the option to disable them. There are also other programs that don't necessarily have to show themselves in the tray, so you can use the instructions on the web page in order to take these out. But before you do, make sure that these aren't valid programs that you might need, which reminds me, don't disable rundll.exe or systray.exe.

-buy more RAM: it comes cheap these days, and this, essentially is where your problem lies. I just upgraded my RAM to 512MB just this monday, and I still get system rescources drop notices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fox said:

-buy more RAM: it comes cheap these days, and this, essentially is where your problem lies. I just upgraded my RAM to 512MB just this monday, and I still get system rescources drop notices.
Actually, I have recently upgraded my RAM to the max - (512MB) and still see these messages. System recognizes that the new RAM is there too. I think I read somewhere that the amount of RAM on board has nothing to do with a "drop in system resources" , but can't seem to find that reference anywhere.

I will check that URL - Thanks for the info

-bob

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I checked about that, turns out that you are right about the fact that the amount of RAM doesn't necessarily correspond to system rescources. I found that "system rescources" is a set location for applications to store information that they are displaying.

Thanks for catching me on that one, sorry to mislead you.

The startup stuff I also verified, and that's still valid :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
sorry to say it...do you want to get better resouces...

upgrade to XP....

if it aint effecting your system turn of the resouce checker...it s using resouces as well...and dont bother with it...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.