Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built a brand new system, formatted installed windows but I can only get on through safe mode. When trying to get on regularly it stays at the Windows XP Professional loading screen for like 5 seconds and then the system reboots.

My rig is a AMD X2 4400, MSI Neo 4 Platinum, 2 GB RAM, 2 250 GB HDs, ATI x700 PCI-E 256MB, and a Coolmax 550Watt PSU.

Someone help please!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Boot up in Safe Mode, right click on My Computer, go to Properties, click on the Advanced tab, click on the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section, and uncheck Automatically Restart. An alternative may be hitting F8 at bootup and selecting "Disable Automatic Reboot On System Failure."

Doing this and then attempting to start up normally should allow the system to display an error message than can be useful in pinpointing the problem and resolving the situation.

Post any error messages.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no error message it continues to do the same thing after disabling automatic restart.....

when u say F8 at bootup, is it somewhere in safemode in that same section that that needs to be disabled in or wat??

appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
do you have SATA hdds or PATA hdds? hmmmm try swapping out the hdd cables and use a working spare of hdds cables. see if the cable is the problem.

you said the computer is new but try fixing the master boot record and see if this helps fixes your problem. bootup with your windows xp cd and when you get to the main console, choose repair instead of install.

the computer will ask you for an admin password but simply press enter to skip the process if you dont have one. then on C: type in "fixboot" without the "" and it should only take a sec to fix the problem.

then reboot the computer and try booting to windows again and see if fixing the master boot record helped out. good luck and post back if you need more help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
drivers update

i pretty much updated all my drivers while in safe mode. The only problem I'm having now is trying to update my BIOS.

I have the MSI Neo 4 Platinum motherboard and I need to update its BIOS. I downloaded the latest from the MSI website. It says not to use Floppy disks to update it. My system is a new build and has been having some problems not getting to the Windows desktop and I realized my Bios is several versions old. MSI does say to create an DOS boot disk. I did. I used it. It prompted A:\ but i can't switch to C:\, it says its an invalid drive specification. But when I was one safe mode It was there. The reason for switching to C:\ is because I had to extract the BIOS update files to a folder on C: like the instruction from MSI said but I can't access C:\ in DOS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
usualy when its a problem with restarting it is down to a software problem and usualy a driver and even more commonly it is a grfx card driver > F8 on boot up and then insteald of safemode select enable VGA mode > if this thenstarts up then you know that it is a grfx card driver problem and uninstals the grfx card then restart the computer as this will replace the drivers with fresh ones which normaly ends up working :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.