Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to reinstall windows using Windows Media Center Edition 2005. Whenever I boot from cd, I get a black screen that says Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration. It stays there for about 5 seconds then reboots. If I attempt the same thing with WinXP Pro SP2 it loads fine. The CD does not have scratches, smudges, or prints, etc

I tried removing some ram, my extra dvd and hard drives, the external devices, and the pci cards. Still the same problem.

My specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8Ghz)
Gigabyte GA-7VT600-P-L
MSI GeForce FX 5600 128MB AGP w/ VIVO
-NOTE: I normally run an MSI 6600GT but it's rma'd right now for a dead fan.
1.5 GB DDR (3x512) Running at 333MHz
-Kingston ValueRAM PC2700
-Generic RAM PC3200
-Kingston ValueRAM PC3200
EVGA NVTV TV Tuner
Soundblaster Live! 5.1
Generic 10/100 NIC Realtek Chipset
120GB Maxtor SATA HD on via 8237 sata raid mobo chipset
80GB Maxtor IDE HD
16x LG DVDROM
Sony 16x +/- DVDRW
Enermax 450W PSU

I've noticed that the FX 5600 is not on the compatibility list, however, this card is part of the nvidia forceware driver for Win XP MCE.

Anyway I'm at a wits end trying to figure this out, so I'd really appreciate some help on this.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Kingston ValueRAM PC2700
-Generic RAM PC3200
-Kingston ValueRAM PC3200

use 1 stick only, and make sure its on the qvl list

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should've clarified. When I said I tried removing memory, I removed all but 1 stick and I still have the same problem.

I kind of feel dumb now, but it would appear that it is a problem with the cd. I completely forgot to test it on another computer. Dell sells my laptop with Win XP Home, Pro, or MCE, so MCE should work on mine, but it does the exact same thing as my desktop. I will try to burn a new set of cds.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I definitely feel dumb. I burned the ISO again and now it boots into the setup program just fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I feel dumb because I spent so many hours trying to figure it out and I refused to redo the cd since the cd had no scratches, it must be working (plus I could browse the cd fine in windows). I just regret my stubborness in not wanting to re-burn the cd because of my assumptions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.