Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use a number of freeware security things and every once in a while one of them will tell me that if I paid the subscription fee they could optimize my system and improve speed by 249% or some such number. (For example Advanced System Care, IOBit)

Are there really such opportunities? Any Microsoft advice on how this might be done?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Sounds like you've been infected with some adware or spyware. Use Spybot to remove them. However, your so called freeware could just be a trial version, in which case it'll continue to popup with messages encouraging you to purchase it. I'd remove them if I were you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes those are scams, they're just gonna infect your computer (spyware/malware/adware).

just do it manually, just like what spike said.

no need to download softwares that will do it for you.

really need to be a lot careful nowadays.. :winkgrin:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No infections according to AVG, Spybot, Advanced system Care, or spyware blaster. I believe it was advance system care that asks just after an update.

Temporary file deletion and defrag are part of ASC.

I don't have all of these running all the time but only occasionally do a search. I have found examples where one sysem will find a problem that others missed, but you can't really be sure that the problems identified were really there, even with things you paid for.:4-thatsba

·
Registered
25,110 Posts
While everyone needs a firewall and anti-virus program and free ones are fine, so you need to have those two areas covered. However, one has to be very careful about any type of optimization programs.

When these program begin to search and change things in the registry, one can have dire issues that may not (sometimes) be possible to recover from without a full format and reinstall.

Therefore, my recommendation is that if you are having issues, please post the problem specifically and one of the staff members can guide you in trying to resolve the issues you are having. If software related, then post in the Microsoft area and if those good folks can't help you, they will direct you to the proper help. If hardware related, then post in hardware and those folks can assist you or point you in the right direction to receive help and assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.