Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently upgraded from an Nvidia MX440 to a Gigabyte Geforce 6600. (Both AGP)

Since this upgrade, on attempting to start 3d applications (Google Earth, Medal of Honor: PA, and AOE III Demo) the system locks up. The application will begin load, sometimes I will see a few seconds of graphics, and then the computer will lock. Sometimes it continues to display a distorted image, and then go black, other times it goes immediately black.

Sound will continue to play for some time, but the computer does not respond to keyboard commands. Caps lock and Scroll lock aren't functional, although Num lock is.

If I wait long enough, the computer will occasionally restart itself. Other times I will wait upwards of 5 minutes, and finally have to restart it myself. Upon restarting the computer, the standard "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message appears. If I send the data, the page only reveals that it is an unknown problem with the NVidia Graphics Driver.

DXDiag tests go fine, and reveal no errors.

I have an Asus A7V266 motherboard. (Supports AGP 4X. The 8X card should be backwards compatible according to NVidia) Processor is an Athlon 1800+.

I have unplugged all of my cd-rom drives and unecessary equipment, and the problem persists, so I don't think it is a lack of power issue. (But correct me if my test wasn't thorough enough)

I am running the most recent NVIDIA forceware driver.

I am at a total loss here. I have searched these forums and the internet and haven't found a solution. I did find some information about an "Infinite Loop" problem that is becoming more common, and some of the symptoms seemed similar, but I found no solution.

Any help/suggestions/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Johnnabn

EDIT: Sorry about the double post. Not sure what happened there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dai said:
check your power requirements here
http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
based on a quality supply and add 30% to the result
tells me I need 292. Plus 30% is 380ish. It didn't actually have my video card (Geforce 6600) on the list, so I chose a similar one (nvidia geforce 6800 ultra at 77 watts). It had the closed clock and memory speed to what V-Tuner says I have now.

Anyway, I have a 300 watt.
So, that seems like it might be a problem. And looking and those numbers, I probably didn't remove enough equipment. Could lack of power result in symptoms like those I described?

Do you think the new Geforce 6600 draws that much more power than my old MX440?

Is there a good way to test this short of hooking up a larger power supply?

Johnnabn

·
Premium Member
78,002 Posts
removing equipment does not make much difference as they generally total only a few watts combined together where the new video card rockets the power pull

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
A 6800 ultra sucks up way more power than a 6600 so your power calculation is probably too high. A 6600 does use more power than a GeForce 4MX. A weak power supply can match your symptoms but you're not really going to be able to tell for sure without swapping in another supply. If you can borrow a bigger supply then I'd try swapping that in. But if you don't have one available then I'd try some software tests before spending money on a new PSU. If you haven't already then you should try disabling fastwrites and slowing down your AGP port (instructions here). I'd also make sure all your old drivers are cleaned out by uninstalling your current drivers, running DriverCleaner, and reinstalling your drivers (instructions here).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i tried removing the nvidia drivers, using DriverCleaner, and reinstalling, but to no avail.

Fast write was already disabled, in fact, windows won't even boot with it enabled. And the agp speed modifier didn't help either.

I think I do have a large power supply arround that I can try. So thats my next step.

EDIT: Additional note - I just tried booting into both Ubuntu and Gentoo 2005(same machine as XP), and expierenced similar problems. Both were working flawlessly with the previous card. Ubuntu got halfway into loading Gnome before locking up. When I edited Xorg.conf and set the driver "nv" rather than "nvidia", it didn't even make it to Gnome. As the xserver initialized the screen just went crazy. I could, however, kill the server, so it wasn't a hard lock up.

In Gentoo it froze immediatley on the Boot Splash. I haven't yet tried to disable that and move forward, I'm not sure its really a necessary experiment.

Granted, I've had graphics card trouble in the past with Linux, and it was just a software/driver problem , but it seems an awful big coincidence that a very similar problem is occuring on Windows now. (Also, the symptoms are much different. Previously, I would have random crashing and/or graphic glitches. Now I have a lock up guarenteed everytime I start it up)

Thanks for the help.

Johnnabn

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.