Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My system lags when I copy and paste files from one partition to the next, the mouse even lags when windows is swaping its is the samething in Games when graphics are being loaded into memory.

My brother says he can't aim well when playing counter-strike the crosshair doesn't move smothely across the screen.

I thought i might off over heated the harddrive, but i changed my hard drive to a 30Gb fujitsu, it worked fine untill I partitioned it (using fdisk) that's when the same thing stared to happen. I got yet another harddrive( also fujitsu but 10GB ) I installed it without partitioning it. But it did the same thing. :(

I also noticed that the installations of games form CDs takes about 2 times as long as it should(compared to when the 30GB drive was working)
copy of 650MB file between partitions takes:
40 Maxtor 7200 rpm(when not working) = 7Min
30 Fujitsu 5900 rpm(when working) = 4Min
30 Fujitsu 5900 rpm(when not woring) = 8Min

all my partitions are less than 8GB

Someone told me it might be Windows swap file is to small, but i never changed it.

my system:
< Hardware >
Processor:GenuineIntel Family 15 Model 1 1.8 GHz Stepping 2
Math Support:On Chip
BIOS:American Megatrends 07/22/02
Bus Type:pCI,ISA,USB
Ports: 1 Parallel, 2 Serial
Memory: 768 MB (13% Utilized)
Floppy Disks: 1.44 MB
Hard Disks:40 GB Maxtor
Multimedia: Sound, CD-ROM
Video:1024x768 in 32-Bit Color,RADEON 9200-Secndry Ver 4.00

< Operating System >
Windows: 4.10 (Build 2222 A )
DOS: 7.10
Net Clients:
Microsoft Network
Microsoft Family Logon

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
This sounds like the disk is not using DMA, but running in PIO mode. As I recall, W98 needs drivers to get DMA working, haven't worked with it in quite a while.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome laaaaary............:D :D :D :D :D :D

Have you checked the temperature of the CPU?

Are you using a motherboard with all this stuff? I didn't notice one on the list. But then again I tend to miss a lot of stuff these days..................................:winkgrin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The temperatures I think are normal, I went to the bios and chacked anyway speedo
system ----35 C/95 F to 37 C / 98 F
CPU---------35 C/95 F to 39 C /100 F

then i checked DMA settings they weren't selected. I have not touched those eather before the change occured.

john you say that I need drivers to get DMA to work, and just checking the box wont do the trick?

S

·
0 Posts
Check the box and then reboot, If the box stays checked your all set. As far as that goes anyway.........:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.