Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My system is now slow. It's been running fast to Ok since i got the PC about 3 years ago. But now most softwares take longer to load.

EX : Picasa. When i do anything in Picasa, it takes longer for me to see the results (like clicking on im feeling lucky..).
Or even sending files to the trash takes time no matter how small they are.

Dell Inspiron 530 Intel 2 Quad Cpu Q6660 2.4Ghz
6.0 Gb ram
Vista 64

I usually run CCleaner every 2 weeks.
I have 96 Gb/581 free on C:, i have mostly video files and pictures (3mbs, i take a lot of pics..).

Any soft i can run to clean my PC? I will do a defrag tonight..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just noticed now that most sites are very slow to load. For the first time when i launched Chrome which takes me to google.com, i actually saw the Google graphic load 1/4 at a time.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi amenasce,

Can you download and install Autoruns and run it. Let it generate all the information (shouldn't take long) then go File>Save and save the AutoRuns.arn file to the desktop. Zip it and attach it back. Basically want to have a look and see if we can figure out what may be interfering.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi amenasce,

Can you download and install Autoruns and run it. Let it generate all the information (shouldn't take long) then go File>Save and save the AutoRuns.arn file to the desktop. Zip it and attach it back. Basically want to have a look and see if we can figure out what may be interfering.
Hi TheGift,

thanks for the advice. I am attaching the .arn file here.

Thank you!

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
\Norton Internet Security - Run Full System Scan - dimav File not found: C:\Program Files (x86)\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\Navw32.exe
I can see Norton in your Scheduled Task List and a .exe in the Norton Program Files Folder. Can you download the Norton Removal Tool and remove it completely as this may be a left over from a previous installation or something downloaded whilst installing another separate program. You have Microsoft Security Essentials installed which is good as well as Malwarebytes (is it up to date and when did you last run a scan)

I'd also uninstall the Yahoo! Tool bar via add/ remove programs. Also the Google one unless you find it useful (normally come bundled with software but really don't seem that useful and it's just something else that has to load with the browser.

Xfinity Toolbar in IE could be rid of as well unless you use it. It's an official MS plug-in for IE, so it might be something you use.

Apart from that it actually looks pretty good, but other staff may spot something in there I missed, hence getting you to post it.

Can you do the above, including updating Malwarebytes and running a quick scan and post back. I will be around for another 30 mins as it pretty late here, but there are staff and helpers here 24/7 that will also assist.

Also, when you run CCleaner, never use the registry tool as that can cause more harm than good. Apart from that it's a good tool to use.

Giving the system a decent defragg will also help.

Also, do you have a lot of browser plug-ins running? This can be a cause for a browser to be slower over time.

If doing the above doesn't help, then you could try going: Windows Key+R and typing MSCONFIG and then OK. Under 'Services' tab check the 'Hide all Microsoft services' box and then uncheck the remaining items. Then go to the 'Startup' tab and uncheck anything not Microsoft related and click 'Apply' and then reboot and see if it's any quicker. If it is then that will point to a program slowing the boot up process down, and you can then go back to MSCONFIG and recheck the boxes one-by-one to find out the one the program causing the issues if any.

Another thing to try after the above is a 'chkdsk /r' To do this go: Windows Key+R and type CMD and hit OK. Then at the prompt type 'chkdsk /r' and hit enter. Without the quotes and remember the space between chkdsk and /r

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow..thanks a lot for all that help. I will uninstall the toolbars (i never knew they were installed.) and also uninstall that norton (hard to get rid off!!).
Im running a malware as we speak (Up to date).

I dont think i have any browser plug-ins. I try not to install anything i dont use everyday.

Thanks much for the pointers. I will do them and report back

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.