Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
TSF - Enthusiast
7,670 Posts
First of all, post the make and model of the system or the make and model of the individual components including power supply, motherboard, cpu, memory and video.

Be a little more specific as to the symptoms: Does it power up? Any error messages? What was the last thing you were doing when it crashed? Did you just install any new hardware or software?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is an hp desktop model iscompaq presario unless you want a product number it powers up but says disk boot error it doesnt do anything. i think i have a virus by trying to open an email that was sent to me. can you help me

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
When it boots, look for a message on the bottom of the screen saying something like Press DEL (or whatever) for startup". Press that button as soon as you see that message. This will bring you to the BIOS setup screen.

Go to your Boot menu, and set the boot order so the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive is the first boot device. Put your Windows installation CD in the drive, save the settings, and reboot. The computer will boot to the CD.

Open the Command Prompt window and type "fixboot" and then "fixmbr". Close the command prompt, boot back into the BIOS setup screen and change boot order back to Hard Drive as 1st boot device, save, and reboot. This might help you.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
What is the Model Number of the HP?
Has any hardware been added to the original confguration?

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
Please supply the info requested by gcavan so we can better understand your problem.

Be a little more specific as to the symptoms: Does it power up? Any error messages? What was the last thing you were doing when it crashed? Did you just install any new hardware or software?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.