Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, my windows Xp pro installation began giving me an error screen half way through the boot process. I have tried repairing the OS, but It just keeps giving me another error screen. I have decided that I am just going to reformat the harddrive, but there are a few files that i do not want to lose. Unfortunately, I kept these files in my user folder ("c:\documents and settings\my folder") I had my login passworded and the folder is locked. I need only about 3 MB of data out of that folder, but I have no clue as to how to access it. If any one can help, I would really appreciate it.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
What you could do is set that hard drive up on a different computer and back it up to another hard drive. After reformatting, you could then move those files back over.

Also, if these files are very small, you could just boot from a floppy to a DOS prompt and back those files up onto diskettes (if they are small enough to fit on them).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I cant even copy anything out of the folder. Or the the folder itself.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
can you be more specific- does it give you an error message when you try to access the inormation on the drive?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On Windows XP as im sure you know, every user is given a user folder (found in documents and setting) If you and a password to your user account, you can prevent access to your user folder to anyone but you. This protection is somehow strong enough to prevent the folder from being accessed or copied by even DOS. I need to gain access to this folder, but when i try and start up my system, i get a 0x0000007e stop error.

·
Registered
6 Posts
did you try booting in Safe mode?......You may have a funky driver hosing your boot . Setting the drive up as a slave then attaching it to a friends PC as the slave or secondary deviice may allow you to access the file.

·
Registered
30 Posts
bmann said:
did you try booting in Safe mode?......You may have a funky driver hosing your boot . Setting the drive up as a slave then attaching it to a friends PC as the slave or secondary deviice may allow you to access the file.
With WinXP, moving the drive to another computer, or for that matter to a different IDE port on the same computer, or even changing from primary to secondary WON'T WORK!
Seems Microsoft has gone overboard on their copy protection.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Before you take the drastice measure of reformatting, lets see if we can resolve the problem otherwise who's to say that the same sequence of events wont reproduce the fault and leave you back at square one.
That can be very annoying.

Did you update any drivers prior to the crash or add any new USB devices?

What file did the stop error 0x0000007e relate to (eg. "STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, <address>, <address>, <address>)
usbhub.sys")

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.