Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I would first like to say that I have searched all the forums for any people with the similar problem and I've found a lot of cases that sound like the same problem but the solutions haven't worked.

This problem didn't present itself in the beginning, after I bought the computer it worked perfectly for over 2weeks, I don't know what happened after that, I didn't do anything special but suddenly something was wrong. So here's the problem. The system just freezes from time to time and the computer seems to be working but i can't click on anything..? I can bring up the start menu and by pressing ctrl+alt+del i can get up the task manager.. But that's all i can do. I can't press anything in the taskmanager etc.. But I can see in the taskmanager that the computer usage isn't over 5%. This problem doesn't seem to be connected to any particular action i perform on the computer, however the system doesn't lock up if u don't use the computer. I usually open programs, open a movie etc. when the problem comes. I have tested my memory, which is fine. I've also updated BIOS and the other motherboard drivers.

I first thought it could be the 3Dcard, but I changed the card and the problem still exists, I also re-installed Windows and I've tried different drivers for the card but it didn't help. I hadn't connected the computer to the internet when the problem first showed up so I don't think it's a virus, and I have a antivirus software (kaspersky) on the computer.

The reason why i think it's the 3dcard is because when I try to activate my tv-out the computer hangs up almost in the same way.. The screen goes black but i can see the windows tray which seems to be working but i can't click on anything.. This problem is really frustrating and I've been searching for hours for a solution, I appreciate all the help and ideas you can provide me with.

Computer :

Asus P5B
1gig. Buffalo DDR2 667mhz
ATI Radeon x1950 pro
450w power
S-ATA Seagate 200gig.
Intel Dual Core E6300

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yesterday the problem appeared just when I had opened a movie.. I couldn't click on anything but I could watch the movie to the end :p

·
Team Manager , Articles Team
11,900 Posts
Hello Jaycer, and Welcome to TSF! :wave:

On the face of how you have described your issue, I honestly think that it is more a hardware issue thaa a Windows® Xp program issue.
Having said that, I will ask you to go to the link "Everest™ Home Edition", in my signature.
Read the instructions; then post your full system specs back here.

In the meantime, to give you the best service here at TSF, I will transfer you to the Hardware Forum under "Other Hardware Support",.
This I believe is where myself and my collegues can better assist you...you will also be transferred at the same time.

·
11,900 Posts
Under the "Computer" section go to 'Summary', and post the details from there, and at the same time, if possiblt please give us the specs of your power supply unit [PSU], as this might be one avenue to persue.

Another link in my signature "SensorsView Pro™ " will give us invaluable information too.
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Unknown, 1866 MHz (3.5 x 533)
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
System Memory 1024 MB
BIOS Type AMI (10/26/06)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter Radeon X1950 Pro Secondary (256 MB)
Video Adapter Radeon X1950 Pro (256 MB)
Monitor Samtron 96P/97P(T) [19" CRT] (H3NR513632)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter SoundMAX HD Audio

Storage:
IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
SCSI/RAID Controller SCSI/RAID Host Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive ST3200822AS (200 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA)
Optical Drive _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG USB Device (DVD+R9:4x, DVD+RW:16x/4x, DVD-RW:16x/4x, DVD-ROM:16x, CD:48x/24x/48x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive QP5194E KTW064G SCSI CdRom Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 190771 MB (154910 MB free)

Input:
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (10.0.0.3)

Peripherals:
USB1 Controller Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Mass Storage Device

·
11,900 Posts
Hey...that information is great..thanks.
Now all we need to know about is your PSU...have you had a chance to look at the "SensorsViewPro™ " link in my signature yet?
This will tell us the voltages that are critical for your system.

·
11,900 Posts
Ok Jaycer,
What happens when you put the computer 'under load'?
This means when you start to use a fairly intensive program?

The smaller panel gives us all the necessary voltages and information that we need for the moment.
Could you please try loading a program or two [without causing it to freeze hopefully] and give us a 'refreshed' voltage reading panel please.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have to say that I honestly don't think it's overheating.. Before the computer started to lock up I played Neef for Speed Carbon with full graphics many hours and the temps didn't go up that much.. Don't think the problem is linked with overheating.. I think it's something with the graphicscard.. But im just a noob :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem started after I updated BIOS but it can't be that either because I downgraded it back and it didn't help

·
11,900 Posts
Well Done..thanks for that; however, you should never defragment your HDD and do other operations on the computer at the same time. :4-thatsba

Now while you you gathering this information for me, I conducted a little 'experiment' with the information about your system with "The Power Supply Calculator" [from my signature again :grin:]

Now you mentioned that you have a 450W PSU...coupled with all the other components, "The Calculator" tells us that you need 446W minimum output.
However, one has to add 30% to this total to compensate for 'heavy' loads such as those that you described earlier.
The equation looks like this:

446W +30% [133.8W] = 579.8W required.
So this is telling us that your PSU is not big enough to handle the loads that you are subjecting it to. You really neeed a 650W or better PSU to properly operate your system.
Sorry for the not so good news.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Done..thanks for that; however, you should never defragment your HDD and do other operations on the computer at the same time. :4-thatsba

Now while you you gathering this information for me, I conducted a little 'experiment' with the information about your system with "The Power Supply Calculator" [from my signature again :grin:]

Now you mentioned that you have a 450W PSU...coupled with all the other components, "The Calculator" tells us that you need 446W minimum output.
However, one has to add 30% to this total to compensate for 'heavy' loads such as those that you described earlier.
The equation looks like this:

446W +30% [133.8W] = 579.8W required.
So this is telling us that your PSU is not big enough to handle the loads that you are subjecting it to. You really neeed a 650W or better PSU to properly operate your system.
Sorry for the not so good news.
Blah.. Why did the salesman insist that the PSU was compatible? :( And why did it work for a while..

·
11,900 Posts
Its called "Salesmanship", perhaps to just get rid of you!:upset:

It can also be attributed to 'wear and tear' if the PSU is not a very good quality one.

You can recheck the calculations if you like, but that unfortunately is my recommendation...a new Bigger and Better PSU. :sigh:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the antec 450w truesilent smartpower and i havent got the money to anything else right now :(

·
11,900 Posts
Jaycer,

Just be mindful that these 'freezes' will occur until your system has a better PSU in it.
If you can put up with it until you can afford one, this is the only other option that I can suggest.

:4-cheers:

I will now Close this thread.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.