Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this problem has persisted for quite a long time now and it frustrates me a lot.

My computer works fine with a linux OS (ubuntu) but with windows xp (sp2) it freezes during every alternate boot (1st,3rd,5th......) after logging in for about 10-12 min. I then have to manually hold the power button to switch it off and then need to restart it again. Once restarted (2nd,4th,6th....boot) it works fine.

But after doing this a few times the system gets crashed and more often it's "system32/config/system file corrupted or missing error message".

One more thing that i have observed is that the computer works fine without an antivirus. But since i don't want take chances i keep an antivirus.(I use Avast Home edition 4.8 and i keep regularly updating it)

I ran seatools and the tests there passed without any error and also i ran memtest and it also indicated no errors.
( 160GB SATA hard disk
2 sticks of 1GB each RAM)

Any suggestions will be very helpful.
thanks a lot in advance.

(Sorry if this thread has been posted in the wrong section)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I tried it a couple of times. The problem still persisted. Since I always keep a back up of all the files in the hard disk, I normally re-install os. But it's frustrating to keep reinstalling os every now and then.

Hey is there any chances of my antivirus not detecting a virus? Coz linux (supposed to be virus free) and my own windows without an antivirus program works fine......

·
TSF Team Emeritus, Microsoft Support
15,478 Posts
yonarama its not a bad thing to reinstall from time to time. I would reformat and reinstall again. You may need a more effective anti-virus like NOD32 if you feel you are not protected.
Have you looked over this article? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

@ ALtech10, we do not give malware removal instructions in this forum. Please try to avoid giving this information in your replies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.