Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just built a custom box and can not figure out why it will not boot.

I press the power button nothing happens, then when I release it the power light flashes briefly then goes out.

I double checked all the connections, any ideas?

ALSO: When I press the power button when the power cable is unpluged from the wall and press power the fans spin briefly.

· Registered
241 Posts
Sounds like a faulty power supply to me. Anything other faulty piece would still leave all the fans spinning and everything else running.

· Premium Member
78,435 Posts
when you set it up out of the case,you remove the m/b from the computer and place it on the box it came in with
cpu
video,monitor
ram
installed
this checks if the m/b is shorting to the backing plate stopping it from starting

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dai said:
when you set it up out of the case,you remove the m/b from the computer and place it on the box it came in with
cpu
video,monitor
ram
installed
this checks if the m/b is shorting to the backing plate stopping it from starting
Could you eleberate more on what you mean about the back plate stopping it from starting? How so and is it permanant damage?

· Premium Member
78,435 Posts
if you have the incorrect amount of standoffs or one in the wrong position,it can cause the m/b to short out and the computer will just flic the fans over and stop
you set it up out of the case to check if this is the problem.no it is not permanent

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dai said:
if you have the incorrect amount of standoffs or one in the wrong position,it can cause the m/b to short out and the computer will just flic the fans over and stop
you set it up out of the case to check if this is the problem.no it is not permanent
Ok so I tried this and got some more info.

I tried it with a DIFFRENT PSU and got the following:

I would press the button and the power light would come on. The mobo chipset got very hot, but the mobo powered fans did NOT come on.

Please help!

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dai said:
sounds like a faulty m/b try resetting the cmos
So I tried your sugesstion. This time when I tried to power it on it did its little blink on blink off thing, then would NOT do it again, meaning nothing on the power LED. The chipset got hot again.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dai said:
it would help if you actually posted some details of what equipment you have,when you post a generic question you can only receive generic answers
Sure!

AMD64 3400+

evercase 1u (200w PSU)

BIOSTAR motherboard, VIA chipset, not sure on the partic wodel.

2gb Samsund DDR 3200 RAM

Hope that helps

· Premium Member
78,435 Posts
phone up where you purchased it and ask if the power supply is propriatary,what are you building,a server?
these days when you see a 200w supply always suspect it is propriatary which means you need the m/b to match,as the power plug is wired different to an off the shelf supply
also 200w would be pushing it,it would be draining everything with just
cpu
1 h/d
1c/d
onboard video,m/b mouse and keyboard

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
dai said:
phone up where you purchased it and ask if the power supply is propriatary,what are you building,a server?
these days when you see a 200w supply always suspect it is propriatary which means you need the m/b to match,as the power plug is wired different to an off the shelf supply
also 200w would be pushing it,it would be draining everything with just
cpu
1 h/d
1c/d
onboard video,m/b mouse and keyboard
OK. But could to LOW a PSU fry my mobo, and if so could it have fried anything else onboard (CPU, RAM)?

Also, I called up the case manufacturing company, they said the wireing was standard.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.