Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting the following message recently. I ran a "Nuts & Bolts" program (sadly, I do not remember which one might have caused this problem) and now when I start my computer I get the following "Error". I'm running Win98SE.

System File Error

"The following system files have been replaced with older versions by a program you recently ran. These files are currently in use and cannot be automatically repaired."

"Windows may not run correctly until you exit and restart Windows so that these files can automatically be repaired."

"C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDEML.DLL"

I then have to click "OK" once, see the same message again and then click on OK again to close the window.

Windows then starts correctly.

The problem is intermittent, in that it does not show up every time I start my computer.

Any ideas how I can replace the older DLL with the proper one?

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
the best and most reliable way to fix it, is to reinstall win98SE, it wont delete any of your files so everything you have on your hard drive is safe...

Reinstalling will basically go over your present operating system and fix/replace all corupt files.

For future reference, backup your regestry before running or modifying your system, that way if something goes wrong, you can reload the regestry.

·
Registered
286 Posts
papabearkrb,

While a system reinstall is an excellent idea at times sometimes I to try a simpler fix, and here's one that should work on your problem (if the error message always shows the same file name in this case the ddeml.dll).

Lazy Man Shorthand Code
sClk = single left click
Rick = right click
Deck = double click
{} --> indicates a step number
[] --> indicates a button choice
() --> indicates a menu/sub-menu selection
<> --> indicates drive letter

{1} - sClk [Start]
{2} - sClk (Programs)
{3} - sClk (Accessories)
{4} - sClk (System Tools)
{5} - sClk (System Information)
Opens "System Info." Window
{6} - sClk (Tools)
{7} - sClk (System File Checker)
Opens "System File Checker" Window
{8} - sClk radio button next to "Extract one file........"
{9} - Browse to --> C:\Windows\System\ddeml.dll
_sClk to highlight_
{10} - sClk [OK]
{11} - sClk [start]

Restore File From: --> <Cdrom>:\Win98\
Store File In: --> C:\Windows\System

{12} - sClk [OK]

Backup Folder: --> C:\Windows\HelpDesk\SFC

{13} - sClk [OK]

The ddeml.dll file is also present in the C:\Windows\sysbckup Folder so you might want to go through this procedure twice and on the second pass change the "Store File In" to : --> C:\Windows\Sysbckup.

Good luck either way.

twas
:ufo: :ufo: :ufo:

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
the best and most reliable way to fix it, is to reinstall win98SE, it wont delete any of your files so everything you have on your hard drive is safe...
How would somebody go about doing this if they have the disk "For PCs without windows"?

I have reinstalled in the past and have been close to losing everything (I had to put a new hard drive into my computer just to back things up) because it wanted to format before it reinstalled.

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
Fox, I dont understand your question.

Can u be a little more specific plz.

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
To clarify, if I had the Win98 version that says "For PCs without windows" (a.k.a. the install disk) how would I be able to reinstall without losing anything? I thought a reinstall meant backing up everything and reformatting.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I believe if you reinstall Windows on top of windows - and it's the same version - it will simply verify you have the right files and install the ones you need if they aren't there.

But you should ALWAYS do a back up! $h!+ happens!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
But you should ALWAYS do a back up! $h!+ happens!
Amen ! especially with windoze...its like walking in a mine field..one wrong step, you're done....

what they are basically saying is that you should "repair" windows, not reinstall...I think before you start it asks you if you want clean install or just to repair files...something like that cant remember now.... :D :D :D

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
ahhh I get it, sorry if it took me so long to reply,

What i ment, is that you dont need and shouldnt format your drive...

If you have a problem with windows and its a system file, and you've tried everything else, this is what i would do...(i've actually done this several times and im running win98SE)

There are 2 ways to do this but this is the way I'm most sure about...

Step 1.

Insert the windows 98 cd into the drive and shutdown your computer.

Step 2.

Reboot

Step 3.
When your computer starts up, it will give you several options which include
a) Boot from hard disk
b) Boot from cd
c) Start windows without cd rom support
d)Start in command prompt
-There might be other option but I cant quite remember.

Step 4.

You should choose the option that says "Boot form CD"

Step 5.

Windows will do several tests on your system then will tell u that u already have an operating system installed and it would be best to exit the program. You should choose to continue. U will then get a warning that will tell you that your current operating system will be overwritten. That is what you want so you proceed.

Step 6.

You will now begin setup of windows. This is when windows will go over every detail of your operating system and replace all currupt, bad, modified system files to there original state which fixes your problem.

Step 7.

After setting up all your hardware (U will not need to reinstall any drivers or periphirals) you start windows and everything should be the way it was before your problem with all your Data intact.

That is what i ment...ofcourse that is with a windows setupup cd....if you purchased a computer DO NOT attempt this with your windows cd becuase it will probably format your system because not only windows but other applications are on those startup cds. If you want to try my method you will need just a windows setup cd, nothing else.

I'm sorry if i wasnt too specific in my original answer, i thought u guys would understand what i ment..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm not trying to start an argument here but if you only have one or two bad system files why not just reinstall that file(s) which is essentially what the SFC (extract one file) procedure does. It's less risky and a whole lot quicker.

If it doesn't do the job then you can still use the old sledge hammer.

twas

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
im not trying to start an arguement either, but good point

·
TSF Enthusiast
6,298 Posts
I've already tried that without success on msnp32.dll, the file that I thought had caused the problem (apparently it hadn't been causing gthe problem since the problem still persists).

Since windows can't tell which file caused the illegal operation in my case (the details say "...in module <unknown>"), I will need to reinstall windows in order to replace the rogue file.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, I have to thank TWAS. The method proposed worked like a charm No more problem with DDEML.DLL. AND I managed to avoid a complete reinstall.

Thanks again, gang.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hey Fox

Fox, I know this doesn't always work but since papabearkrd had a file name I thought it was a try.

As far as reinstalling there are times that nothing else will work.

I have on a couple of occasions (after making sure my backups were current) just formatted the Hard Drive and reinstalled every thing - there's few things (computer wise) that feel better than that zip you get from a totally uncluttered registry.

twas

·
Student of the Art
643 Posts
big ups to twas!!!:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.