Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My system clock is always fast. I will set it now by updating via an Internet time server, then tomorrow it will be about 20 mins fast. It never gets any faster though. I can leave it as long as you like and it will be about 20 minutes ahead. I don't understand?? :4-dontkno
Any thoughts? I have googled etc, most info relates to *nix. Although Java is mentioned also.

Thanks for looking,
The Hooligan

·
Registered
796 Posts
Time source

Is this on a home based PC? Are you part of a Domain? These are all important questions because Windows will actually sync the time up. So if the time source is 20 minutes faster than your machine, it will speed up to eventually reach the same time. I would imagine that this is what your problem is. I would find the server that is running fast.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cjessee,

Excellent reply. Thanks. I'll give a bit more info now. I'd had a few drinks when I posted the thread....

It is a home PC, runs XP Pro. Intel M/B, CPU. It is my only home PC. I have a VPN router and a showcentre box. I am NOT using a VPN, I am just testing the router as it is also an ADSL modem and was dropping out on site (solved that, turned out to be the power board it was plugged into...). I will check the router later to make sure it isn't causing this, but last time I checked the settings it thought it was still in the '70s man. I have apache running as well as an SQL server for the showcentre. I'm pretty sure it did this before I installed apache. I think I'll put a clean install of Windows on another HDD just to prove it is not hardware.

I schedule TV recordings from my lounge room TV on my computer via the showcentre, so I can't see what time the PC thinks it is. That's why this is important to me to fix.

Thanks for your time.
The Hooligan

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bit more info...

Just checked my router, I had actually set the correct time on it. It is still correct. My computer meanwhile is exactly 20 minutes faster than the router.

Something is changing the time! :3angry2:

I can't find anything in the event log. It doesn't appear to be the windows time sychronizer, that seems to work O.K.

I'll keep looking....

The Hooligan

·
Registered
796 Posts
Showcenter

I would suspect the showcenter box. Is SQL running on that box? Or are you running the SQL server on your XP box? Unplug the showcentre box from your PC and see if you get the same results. I would unplug the computer from the network and see if it still speeds up. This will help you in the process of elimination.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
O.K. O.K. O.K.

Looks like Azureus is the naughty program. Yes - I dowload TV shows illegaly and watch them whenever I damn well please. Sorry but when "That 70s Show" is broadcast here at any series past 4 (I think 8 is the latest?) I'll stop. Apparently the fine people behind Azerues fixed this in March last year - maybe they overlooked something.

Anyway thanks cjessee, I know you didn't pinpoint the answer but it always makes a difference when someone is interested enough to try and help.

Gratefully
The Hooligan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.