Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the following figures under "performance tab" of task manager in my computer

I understand total is total physical memory 1.78 gb something, system cache memory is "the memory being used out of 1.78 gb" and available is the remaining memory. And as far as I understand, when I add Available + system cache, it should match the Total. However, it is not in this case.

Total - 1825216
Available - 180164
System Cache 264512

Can somebody explain to me then how it works?

·
TSF Team, Emeritus
2,625 Posts
"Available" plus "System Cache" will not normally equal "Total". If they do it will be mere coincidence.

Total is the memory available to Windows. This may be less than the total installed RAM.

Available is memory on the Standby list plus free memory. Standby memory contains code and data but is not currently in use. It can be thought of as a kind of cache.

System Cache contains the File cache plus the Standby list, plus a few other small items. Note that the Standby list appears in both Available memory and the System Cache. I know this can be confusing.

I see nothing wrong with your numbers, except that the system is under quite a bit of load for your RAM size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.