Discussion Starter #1
I built my system myself.

Pentium 2.0A ghz
Gigabyte GA-8PE667 Ultra
768mb PC-2700 DDR Ram
Gainward Geforce 4 ti4200 128mb DDR
30gig Maxtor 7200rpm
LG 48x24x48x CD-RW

Well the system worked fine for 3 months. Then one night I shut down my system and during the night the power went out.
(connected to a surge protector only)

The next morning I turned on my system and all it wanted to do was beep at me repeatedly (short beeps). But then every once in a while it would boot fine.

I contacted gigabyte for support and they told me that repeated short beeps is AWARD BIOS BEEP CODE for "WRONG IN POWER".

So i swaped out my 350w powersupply for a 300w powersupply but it made no difference.

I also tried swaping my graphics card, modem, diconecting everything except for cpu, ram and vga and booting. All with the same result. So I got a rma# and sent my motherboard in for replacement.

I just got the replacement today and well still the same problem.

This is what happens now when i try to boot my system.

I get repeated short beeps then stop a single beep and system boots.
OR
sometimes I dont get any repeating short beeps it just boots normally.
OR
other times I get repeated short beeps then stop then repeated short beeps again no boot no info to screen.

I am extremly confused here because I sent the motherboard out after having these same problems for replacement.

Before I sent in the motherboard I tested everything I could myself.
powersupply, vga card, hard disk, modem,. everything except for CPU, RAM.

I am wondering what could possibly be causeing this problem.

can a cpu or ram cause this?

since this problem is still around it makes me wonder if my board was accually replaced. (I think it is a different board because there of how clean it is)

Please HELP.

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is the CMOS battery good? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause problems just from losing power.

Do you loose the date between power on attempts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The battery is good. I tried clearing the cmos by taking th battery out and draining the mb of power thus resetting cmos but this had no effect upon the problem.

This is a replacement (brand new mobo) so the problem has got to be with one of these things.

CPU
RAM (512mb stick & 256mb stick)
VGA card
Power Supply

this is all that I have hooked up to see if it works or not.

I am at a loss.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You don't mean "short beeps" like "I accidentally knocked my ram out of place" beeps do you? :)

Check the ram :)

- Sentry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No. I know what the ram beep is like.

This beeps before/during POST

there is no information displayed to the screen. I have made sure that my ram is in, I have even tried switching slots around.

None of it works

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well, if it is beeping before it posts, check CPU

make sure your cpu is seated fully, and then see what happens. i have heard a beep before posts before, and if you want i could include an audio file of the "Loose CPU" beep.

~BoB~

·
TSF Team Emeritus
5,580 Posts
well,

i took a machine that otherwise worked, and took out the CPU and turned it on, the following is the beep i got.

~BoB~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.