Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was considering reformatting my HDD in my laptop. Here are my questions/concerns. I am also going to be switching from windows xp home to windows xp pro.

1. If I copy the entire contents of my HDD to a external HDD drive, and don't like the new install, can I remove the laptop HDD and put it in an external case, hook that and the back up external hdd to a second computer and do a direct copy back to the drive and restore everything to its original standings?

2. I don't have the installation CD's for my computer , and HP charges about fifty dollars, and this program drivermax is supposed to download save all your drivers for reinstallation after a format. Anyone have experience with this program for backing up their drivers? I can download the drivers from HP website as a backup precaution.

3. Is XP pro worth going to the trouble of a reformat?

Will post more if I remember, thanks in advance for any ideas

CN

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, it looks like your theory is sound, but executing it does not seem too practical. What I mean is it requires software to do what you want to do. This operation is often called 'Ghosting'. You make a ghost of your existing hard drive, bit for bit, on another hard drive. Then you can restore from that backup. Norton Ghost is a good program for this, but it will cost you more than $50. I recommend either paying HP, or look on eBay for the recovery disks for your computer. They may be available for less money on eBay. What is important and valuable is your product key, which should be on a sticker on your computer. If you have that sticker (with a 25 digit product key on it) then all you need are the proper disks.

BTW, there are free programs available that will ghost your hard drive, but I have no personal exerience with them and therefore will not recommend any.

As far as whether XP Pro is worth the reformat or not - if you mean is XP Pro a good Operating System, yes it is. It is very stable as a lot of the bugs have been worked out of it. Of course, Vista is available right around the corner, but it already has problems, and will continue to for a while. XP Home support from MS will end soon. XP Pro will continue to be supported for the next 5 years.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Al, it sounds like buying the discs and going over to Pro would be better.

I wonder if HP would just sell me the drivers disk and not the windows disk?

Thanks

CN

·
Registered
50 Posts
I wonder if HP would just sell me the drivers disk and not the windows disk?
Drivers are free and available for download from most major manufacturers sites. Usually in either the support section, or downloads section, or drivers section of their website. Download them and burn them to a disk so they can be installed on the computer in question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.