Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to network a desktop with my Win98 laptop. When I try to set IP addresses- I can't! System says see System Administrator- what the heck is that? Maybe- WHO the heck is that?
Anyway- if it is me, I would like to know how to find me! Or better yet- get rid of this System Administrator!
Berry:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re System Admin

My 'hookup' is with my desktop- running WinME as 'server'. It appears to be fine- I can access all IPaddresses on it. The 'Client' is my laptop, running Win98se. I am using a crossover cable.
My laptop is the one that has System Admin problems-

When I try to install Sygate on
the laptop, or Microsoft ICS, I am told the action is not
authorized, and to see the network administrator.
As far as I know, that's me- but how do I find out what is
needed? (I bought the laptop from a third party- and don't
know if it was on a network or not. There is no indication
of any requirement to log on, other than what I have put
in at setup.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I suspect the laptop may have been setup for a domain login, and there's possibly even a 3rd party security application installed. Can you access the Network Properties and see what's there?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm confused...

I am not sure- I went to Control Panel/Networks and there are properties for each entry- TCP/IP, Microsoft for Clients, etc
But I don't know if these are the properties you mean...??? Somehow I doubt it.
Let me know a little more about how to look for these properties, please...

I will be gone for about 4 days with :no: no internet access- be patient, in the words of Arnold- "I'll be back"

Berry:bandit:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Try this. Right click on Network Neighborhood and go to properties. Highlight "Client for Microsoft Networks" and then click on Properties. Where it says, "Logon Validation" uncheck that box (if it is checked).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.