Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got one that is making me pull my hair out

i was running 3 hard drive on my computer 1 ide 80g and 2 ide 200g running great. tel i install a 200g sata drive. i installed the sata booted my pc worked for about a week then it rebooted itself. tried ever thing i could think of to boot it back up nothing work . i pulled the sata drive out and it booted right up. great right ......no 2 hours later it reboot its self again. but this time it stop on the bios screen hit del or f1 to boot or to go into the bios. but now the names of the hard drive are gone and i got symbols. what is that? i tried resetting the coms jumper but got nothing. tried removing the 2 200g drive didn't help. still didn't boot ........help

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
This is indicative of a failure in the SA area of the drive - not user repairable. What is the make and model of the failed drive? Wait, ALL the IDE drives are showing symbols or just one? If all then it would sound like a MOBO failure.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
You could try a MOBO Bios update, before that tho I would try resetting the CMOS, should be a jumper to reset on the MOBO ( see the manual ) or remove the CMOS battery and all power then replace and see what happens. I would try the reset before the flash since it could be just a corruption in the CMOS rather than the BIOS itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i tried the reset jumper and nothing checked for bios up date i have the newest one. i plug in all the drives and it booted in to windows for maybe 10 min and rebooted it self .....back to the symbol no boot.

·
Registered
10,227 Posts
You could try resetting factory defaults in the BIOS and try the battery removal just to be sure. You could also try relaying the same BIOS version if their flash utility will allow you....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok cool its back up with the 80 g and the 200g sata ....but if i plug in the 200g drives i get the symbols come back it boots. but it restarts after 2 to 5 min. so it one of the drive right? now i tried one at a time when i plug only one in i get the HD names but no boot. plug both in boots but shut off................wow this thing sucks. if i could just get the data off them i'll get new drives

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.