Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cliff note version:
Symantec won't uninstall, citing another installation procedure in progress. At odd times I get popups of symantec trying to uninstall, but it always fails.

Longer version:
I'm on a college campus, and as you might expect, the software package they force students to install to get online managed to mess up my system (several associated drivers corrupted). I ended up having to utterly delete every trace of it from my system, including registry entries, etc. that the typical uninstall doesn't do.

Thats all fine and dandy, except I can't seem to get Symantec Antivirus off of my system. When I try to take it out using Add/Remove Programs it cites missing files which I'm chalking up to be a byproduct of deleting the other programs associated with the college's software package. I would do a repair of it and then try to redelete, except whenever I do it claims that there is another installation in progress. Here's the weird part: Randomly when I try to open up a folder in windows explorer, Symantec uninstaller pops up trying to uninstall. It fails every time, but it leads me to believe that somehow the uninstall has written itself onto my system somehow.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
This is a common problem and can be fixed by going to the Symantic Website and downloading the remoover program and running it

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still having trouble. I dowloaded the remover:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Norton-Removal-Tool-Download-26173.html

And when I ran it it told me I needed to remove "Symantec Antivirus 9 or later" from the Add/Remove Programs function- which as I said I can't do.

If it matters, there are 3 errors that come up during the attempted deletion:
Can't find: C:\windows\installer\symantec antivirus.msi
Can't find: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
Installation did not complete: Fatal Error

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, no. If I open up the NAV installer included on the college's software package CD, I have the options of modifying, repairing, or uninstalling.

Uninstalling leads to the "CCApp.exe file missing" error; repairing or modifying leads to Symantec saying that it was interrupted and that no changes were made to my system (no particular error).

The fact that it says it was interrupted along with the fact that I occasionally get the windows popping up trying to uninstall NAV when I'm doing something completely different makes me think that maybe the uninstaller has written itself onto my system somehow and keeps repeating on its own? I'm really pretty confused by this and am just hypothesizing...

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, good idea. I'm off campus until Sunday but I'll report back either way once I have an opportunity to give that a shot.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No dice. I got an error stating windows couldn't access the uninstaller when I tried to delete in safe mode, and the remove symantec program I DLed gave me the same message as before.

If we're going to go with a manual delete I should mention that I have CCleaner and Clean Up on my computer (and I'm certainly willing to DL any other programs if they'd be useful).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Lujan said:
bump: just don't want this to be lost to the annals of page 2. :)
When you "bump" a post, that's exactly what you are doing to other people's posts; pushing them further down. It's just rude in my opinion.

Perhaps no one has an answer to your problem yet. That does happen you know. Be patient, and instead of just typing "bump", give us more details on your progress so that people can help you further.

Also, you might want to try a manual uninstall by following the steps on Symantec's website...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/docid/2002031914291648

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry guys, I certainly don't intend to be rude or come off as impatient. I'm perfectly aware that the staff members are doing this on their free time and are often busy. The reason I bumped was because someone suggested that I do so in an older thread. I won't anymore.

I'll try those steps and report back with any further problems. Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.