Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a machine running WinXP Home two identical harddisk ea.40 G . HD0 master with two partions, C: booting 10G E: 30G some data. HD1 slave in removable drawer. After booting in MSDOS 7 or Win98 we use Symantec Ghost.exe 2003, in batch mode with the following switches:
-clone,mode=copy,src=1,dst=2,sure
After cloning we check with Scandisk still in Dos.
The first time it works like a charm and takes only 7 min. to produce an exact copy of HD0 on HD1, far faster than any backup method. We then remove the drawer for safekeeping.
Now comes the unpleasantness: When we do this the second time the cloning process partitions HD1 but the partition 1 or D: either contains no directories or files or with scrambled directories. Funny though, partition 2 or F: is perfect. We tried formating of HD1 prior to cloning and sometimes this helps. In fact running Win98 it allways worked, but now in WinXP for some unfatohmable reason it does not seem to work.

Running Ghost.exe in WinXP withouth switches it takes much longer close to 1/2 hour, but it works fine. We would like to do it in Msdos by inserting a floppy and running it in automatic batchmode. We tried to contacy Symantec for help, butso far have not found an e-mail address that will connect us to Ghost Help. We are told Symantec is not known for easy assistance.

I would appreciate any help.
Richard C. Meyer

·
Citizen of the world
51,140 Posts
FWIW, I rarely use the clone function, I prefer to generate image files, which seem to go pretty much as fast as cloning, but are easier to work with.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.