Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I am working with an IBM Intellistation Z Pro model 6621. This system can be configured to work as a server or as a workstation depending on requirements.

Currently it is running 4 GB PC 2100 ECC RAM and works fine. I was browsing through the advanced BIOS options and found a selectable option for ECC or non-ECC RAM. Reading through the IBM literature, I was unable to find any discussion on the use of this switch, so I thought I would post here to see if one of the RAMmeisters :pray: might illuminate my mind further as to 1) How one would transition from ECC to non-ECC RAM and 2) given that the cost for ECC and non-ECC appears to be so similar, why would someone want to change RAM types? :4-dontkno

Thanks in advance!

LDS

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I thought I did include the relevant specs: MB is standard MB for IBM IntelliStation Z Pro model 6621, Required RAM is PC 2100 SDRAM ECC minimum 1 GB, Maximum 8 GB.

Furthermore, I am not looking to break what is working. I am simply curious if one might switch from ECC RAM to non-ECC RAM by making an adjustment to the settings in BIOS.

If its too much trouble to answer a relatively simple question, the forgive my ignorance. I'll leave you to deal with more important matters.

·
Emeritus
51,675 Posts
If that option is in the Bios then I assume it is a possibility.
But, there would be no logical reason to spend money on Non-ECC RAM if the ECC RAM is working.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.