Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. im pretty new here. my computer is behaving quite strange in the past few months. im have alot of basic knowledge but dont know alot about windows.
right now im trying to find a cause/resolve to being unable to switch users. i normally use the shortcut key winlogo~L but sometimes it doesnt work. neither does the button, start~logoff~switch. When i restart the computer the problem does not fix half the time. seems to be random, sometimes a reboot fixes it, and i dont restart for days. But mostly reboot does nothing.
In spring, I had a bad trojan virus that took a long time to scrub off, and i think its the origin of problems, including why i have to reboot 1-2 times a week. But virus is long gone and im trying to repair the pc.

suggestions?

my pc is from 2003, winXP SP1, pentium4 1.6ghz, 512 ram, nvidia gforce4 ti 4200, generic audio, matshita dvdrom, realtech rtl8139 ethernet & DSL internet.
the programs running on startup are: HP psc printer, Konfabulator, blackice, adwatch, taskmgr

·
Registered
114 Posts
help...

Download and install service pack 1A. DO NOT DOWNLOAD SP 2 YET!!!! Then download hjt and post it in the section in security for hjt logs. Follow their instructions.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I dont have a problem with the idea of most service packs, but i do have trouble downloading them. my computer's Windows Update is frozen, hasnt worked in a long time, i manually DL and run any updates.
but still, when i tried to DL and run the update install file, service pack 1a setup error ~ the file c:/windows/system32/drivers/atapi.sys is open or in use by another application. But my current running processes do not include any atapi.sys
I have no idea what HJT is or why you mention it. please explain

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
HijackThis can help the analysts here identify if your system has a virus/trojan/spyware infection that may be causing your problems.

Download HijackThis, and save it to your desktop or a folder like C:\HijackThis. Extract the zip file and run the program. Select "Do a system scan and save a log file". A log file should be created wherever you saved the file. Copy and paste the entire log file (along with your current question/problem) to the HijackThis Log Help Forum. The analysts there will look over your log to see if your computer is infected, and will provide you with removal procedures to get your computer working properly again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that program HijackThis seems really useful, if you know what it all means. i got a scan & logfile and put on another thread here. Thanks for the suggestion, im curious to find what that logfile can tell someone...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did the HJT fix. to no avail, still unable to switch user occasionally. and windows update still freezes and gives error 'not responding' every time.

other ideas?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.