Tech Support banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Need clarification. Are you talking about the Address Bar or the box that appears that says "Search the Web"? They can have two different choices.
If you are addressing me, it's the box that appears that says "Search the Web". It does Bing searches. It used to do Google searches. Yesterday when opening up M. Edge after a Microsoft update, the opening page had the search box as mentioned plus a load of extraneous stuff like news, weather, and other things I didn't want. I got rid of all that and am now left with only the Search the Web box where I can type in something and Bing takes over with the search.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,219 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,952 Posts
OK, let's get it correct. Type a request, not a URL in the Address Bar, not in the box we mentioned. What Search Engine was used? Also,what browser is your default?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
OK, let's get it correct. Type a request, not a URL in the Address Bar, not in the box we mentioned. What Search Engine was used? Also,what browser is your default?
Microsoft Bing is used for any search I submit.
Browser default is Microsoft Edge.

·
28,952 Posts
Edge>3Dots>Settings>Privacy,Search&Services>Scroll to bottom which is "address bar & search>Change search engine used in address bar to Google>Manage Search Engines>Google. That's what you should now have for both places.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Edge>3Dots>Settings>Privacy,Search&Services>Scroll to bottom which is "address bar & search>Change search engine used in address bar to Google>Manage Search Engines>Google. That's what you should now have for both places.
I have that in both places. For manage search engines google is highlighted and it says Google (Default). Search engine in address bar says Google (Default) also.

·
28,952 Posts
Control Panel>Programs & Features>Microsoft Edge>Change>Repair
After Repair make sure the settings didn't revert to Bing. If so, change again.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I did the change and repair. The download still showed Google in both places in the privacy, search, and services areas. I'll try a reboot now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Following the reboot, nothing changed. I suspect I'm going to have to live with Bing.

·
28,952 Posts
If you're still using your Emachine, that's the problem. If not, please update your specs in your profile.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm still using my Emachine that was manufactured in May of 2014. I don't discard things until they no longer work. I have 4 automobiles. The sum of their ages is 98 years.

·
8,219 Posts

·
8,219 Posts

·
Team Manager - Hardware, Acting Manager, Security
14,730 Posts
Let me try one more time. Open the three dots, choose "Settings" then u see a split page with "Settings" on the left click
"Privacy, Search and Services" then on the right side of the page all the way down on bottom click "Address Bar and Search" change "search engine used in Address bar" to "Google" then "search on new tabs uses search bar or address bar" change to "Address Bar" then open "manage search engines" click on the ">" all the way on right to open and you will see all the search engines listed with three dots after them all the way on right. Click each one open and click "remove" on all except for "Google" and "DuckDuck Go" and only search in the Address Bar from here on type something into address bar and then hit "Enter" on the keyboard.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I accidentally removed duckduck go (fingers faster than brain) so only google remains. But I got a google search when I typed in something to find. Should I put duckduck back in and, if so, how? It asks me for search engine, keyword, and URL with %s in place of query.

·
28,952 Posts
Don't put it back if you don't need it. Any chance you've left Edge in IE mode and selected always? Another possibility. Edge> three dots>Extensions>turn each one off and see if Google works.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts