Tech Support banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Received a Microsoft update this morning. They switched me from Google to Bing when I open Edge to go on line. I have not been able to switch back following instructions. Can someone please help me.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
8,232 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is no Advanced Settings in my menu when I click on the three dots. Moreover, your post is cut off after "search engine, for example, while...:

·
8,232 Posts
To read more, simply click anywhere in the grey area, or on the blue link:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To read more, simply click anywhere in the grey area, or on the blue link:

When I click your link I get instructions that say click on three dots and I go to Change Bing to Google in Microsoft Edge.. There is NO advanced settings on the menu that appears when I click on the three dots in the upper right hand corner.

·
8,232 Posts
Try this:
  1. In Microsoft Edge, click the three horizontal dots near the top right.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. In the "Search settings" box, type in:
    search engine​
  4. Then in the right pane, click on the little arrow head to the right of "Address bar and search".
  5. Select "Google" instead of the "Bing (Recommended, default)" that's there now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I followed the instructions. Little box said Google was my default as it has since yesterday. When I open Edge I only get the four little colored squares forming a large square followed by name Microsoft. Under it is a rectangle that says 'Search the web'. Typing something it, I still get a Bing search. By the way, at the top where the address for the website, prior to filling in search box, no address is in the address box. It says search or enter web address. If I type in google.com, I get what I want. But it does not default to this as it said it should in the little box.

This whole mess began yesterday when Microsoft updated my computer.

·
Moderator TSF, Hardware Team Moderator
5,583 Posts
Sounds like you want to change the start page (homepage) to google.com from the default. If you search using the address bar, which search engine returns the results?

·
8,232 Posts

·
8,232 Posts
Try this:
  1. Click the three horizontal dots near the top right in Microsoft Edge.
  2. On the left, click the "New tab page".
  3. In the right pane, click the blue "Customize" button.
  4. Click the "Custom" button.
  5. Change all three options at the top to "Off", change the Background in the center to "Off", then at the bottom, change "Content" to "Content Off".
  6. Close Microsoft Edge and then reopen it.

Hopefully it should now open to whatever home page you have setup.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Try this:
  1. Click the three horizontal dots near the top right in Microsoft Edge.
  2. On the left, click the "New tab page".
  3. In the right pane, click the blue "Customize" button.
  4. Click the "Custom" button.
  5. Change all three options at the top to "Off", change the Background in the center to "Off", then at the bottom, change "Content" to "Content Off".
  6. Close Microsoft Edge and then reopen it.

Hopefully it should now open to whatever home page you have setup.
I did number direction #1, the three horizontal dots, after opening M. Edge.
Don't see the words 'new tab page anywhere'. But I can click on the + sign opening another window but there is no customize button so I cannot continue with your instructions. However, 'new tab' appears in window under three dots. Clicking it opens a new tab but there is no 'customize' blue button.

·
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
28,962 Posts
Need clarification. Are you talking about the Address Bar or the box that appears that says "Search the Web"? They can have two different choices.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts