Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an hp desktop, and its got an amd processor and motherboard, but i like to play games. I want to switch out my motherboard so i can use an intel processor. Intel has quad core and thats what i want for gmes. My quetion is what would i have to do to complete this? Would I have to re-format my hard drive or re-install windows Vista?

My system:
HP M8100N
AMD Athlon 5600+ 2.8GHz
3GB 667MHz
500GB Hard Drive
XFX 8800GTS 320mb
SoundBlaster X-FI

·
TSF Team Emeritus
9,471 Posts
Your better off starting from scratch and keeping your hp as a spare.

For one you hp operating system disks won't work if you change the motherboard but thats just the beginning, you most likely will need a new psu,hp uses relatively small psu's that are not very good. Ok so you add a new psu to the list, then the new psu won't fit the HP case. On top of that there's a possibility the the new motherboard won't fit the case

See what I am getting at?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new psu i bought from staples, an Antec 500 Watt Psu. It fits in the case just fine, and the motherboard im looking at to switching to, is a micro-atx mobo, which will fit in my pc. everything will fit, the hp people told me id have to make backup discs for when i install my new mobo. But i just wanted to know

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
you will need a new motherboard / new cpu / new 650 watt PSU and new copy of vista

quads are really two dual core cpus / they require twice as much power as a standard dual core cpu >>>>> thats why they are eight pin cpu power plug instead of four pin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
why would i need a new psu, that sucks, i just bought a new 500 watt psu. oh well, im wanting to buy a new mobo and processor. why would i need a new copy of vista?

·
Premium Member
2,430 Posts
because an oem copy of any OS is tied to the mobo, by changing the mobo you need to purchase an oem or retail copy of Vista, if you simply try to use your old hdd in the new computer (new mobo) the OS will fail. You should also note that most games do benefit from 2 cores but only a handful benefit from 4 at this time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
all i play is timeshift, crysis(optimized for quad-core), and call of duty 4. I just wouldnt mind just wanting an intel processor just because their faster and more advanced than AMD. but i can see if hp will give me a copy of vista for free

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.