Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riggght.

Well since im going to need a new motherboard to run the Phenom at Full speed, Im going to jump over to Intel.

Im thinking about getting the Gigabyte P35 DS3R motherboard with the Q6600 G0, Or possibly the E6850.

Few questions.

1. Is DDR3 RAM 240pin? Could i use my DDR2 RAM in a DDR3 slot?
2. What good motherboards are there for the C2D for around £70-80? (Pref. SLI )
3. Do you think im making the right Decision?, Im going to be doing quite alot of gaming etc and im thinking about the Q6600 G0 as its pretty future proof and the 8800GTX (when it comes down in price) wont bottleneck.

Thanks Very Much guys.

:wave:

·
Registered
18,118 Posts
DDR2 and DDR3 require different slots so you'll also need new RAM.

I don't use Intel so i can't recommend anything good.

With either brand you'll be getting technology that isn't being fully utilized yet. Most games are just barely beginning to use dual-core so a quad would be wasted processing power. I only want a quad because I use a variety of multi-threaded programs that would benefit directly.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
The P5K-E (not the WiFi version) and the Gigabyte P35-DS4 (revisions 1.1 and 2.0) are also good. Revision 1.0 of the DS4 is good but it has an unusual cooling system that some might not find attractive. Those are the best P35 boards I have found.

To be honest, if you want to go with a quad core I would go with the Phenom over the Q6600 because of the more advanced architecture and SSE4. Gigabyte's MA790FX-DS4 and DS5 are both excellent boards for the Phenom.

Furthermore, if I were building a computer for myself right now I would go with the Phenom and the MA790FX-DS5 as a setup with a dual channel pair of DDR2 800MHz RAM and an 8800GT.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright cool.

TheMatt - I took note of what you said in the 'Case Mod' Thread about the Phenom, But its going to be way over my budget i think. The Phenom 9500+ is about £150, Then The M/b will probably be over £100.

Ill hold it out though and see if i have enough funds for the Phenom. If Not i'll probably stick with the E6750.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4 AMD 790X and the Phenom 9500+ it would Cost £280.

With the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and the E6750 it would cost me £190. Quite a big jump when i dont have a job :laugh:.

I think ill hold out till christmas and see how much money i can get together. Do you think there would be a big difference between the Phenom and the C2D?

Thanks. :wave:

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Because it is a quad core and a very fast quad I would say yes. You will mostly notice the difference in future applications though. AMD's multicore architecture will be much better for multithreaded apps.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alright I see. Im pretty stuck on sticking with Intel though ( Saves me Money ).

Im thinking about this combo :

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard

And

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66

Reason i like the DS3P is that it has SLI. I didnt know DDR2 went up to 1066Mhz.

Thanks Again Matt.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
None of the P35 boards have SLi. They have CrossFire with PCIe at x16 and x4 which isn't the best for a gaming platform. The DS3R, DS3P, and DS3L are all good boards. If you get a bonus or something look at the DS4 which has a heatsink over the MOSFETs. The DS3P and DS4 have copper heatsinks compared to the DS3R and DS3L which have aluminum heatsinks. Cooling usually isn't a problem though because the P35 only has a max TDB (thermal design power) of 16W which is quite low for an MCH.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ah Damn... Didnt see the Crossfire Bit.

I guess ill stick with the P35 DS3R and loose the SLI ( Isnt that important anyway ).

The DS3R has no DDR3 slots does it? I see it supports DDR2 667/800/1066* memory. Im guessing 1066mhz is part of the 240pin DDR2 series?

Edit

What about your board, The Gigabyte N650SLI-DS4 ? I see it has SLI and supports DDR2 RAM, and has the 1333mhz FSB. Plus its about the Same price as the DS3R.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Yeah. You can achieve it by overclocking although with your FSB:DRAM linked (which is what I always recommend) then you will have to overclock a lot because your RAM will start out at 667MHz. If you have good cooling and you happen to get dealt a good hand with the processor and chipset you should be able to get to 400MHz FSB (1600MHz quad pumped) which is a very good overclock. You already have DDR2 800MHz RAM so you have a good start.

·
Registered
25,116 Posts
I would grab the 6750 over the any quad cores / there just plain isnt much software thats quad core optimized / there is a huge diff between compatible and optimized!

8800GT video card is the way to fly

I would skip the SLI they good video cards are so powerful and fast you dont need SLI anyway

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Im Really Thinking about getting the Same Motherboard as TheMatt. For £66 it has the 1333mhz FSB that supports C2D and Quad core ( Future Updgrade ) plus the 4x DDR2 800mhz Slots for the RAM.

Any downsides on this Motherboard?

I see what everyone is saying on SLI. I guess its between the GA-N650SLI-DS4L or the GA P35 DS3R.

I Really Appriciate your Patients. I dont want to spend the cash and realise ive made a mistake somewhere.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
I would go with either the P35-DS3P or the N650SLI-DS4 (not the DS4L) because the DS4L has an aluminum heatsink and the C55 (650i) puts off a lot of heat. The DS4 has a copper heatsink that also extends to the other side of the PCB to help with heat dissipation.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Ok cool, So many different versions out there :laugh:

Hows this looking?

Gigabyte S775 nForce GA N650SLI-DS4 ATX 8CH HD Audio GLan

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 S775 2.66ghz 4mb Cache 1333FSB

ZalmanCNPS9500AT heatpipe CPU cooler with quiet 92mm PWM fan

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status