Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I've been having a very frustrating problem with Windows 7 the past 2 days, and I'm hoping you guys can help. Suddenly the other night, after hours of normal operation, I heard my processor fan kick it up a notch while I was practically doing nothing, just web browsing and maybe chatting to people. And when I checked, sure enough, 50-60% usage on all cores. What? I'm not even doing anything!

So I checked on task manager, and it seems svchost is responsible. There's 2 of them sticking near the top of the process list, hogging up the CPU. Switching to Resource Monitor, these processes are labeled as DcomLaunch, and LocalSystemNetwork, and the services under them that seem to be running wild are PlugPlay and AudioEndpointBuilder.

What could cause these to suddenly behave like this? And more importantly, what can I do to fix it?

Incidentally, this happened the same day I got a new monitor, and started running with dual screens (though the problem didn't occur until much later that day). I thought maybe it was related, so I rebooted with only one monitor connected (the new one) and it still had the same problem. Could just a new monitor cause this to happen? I can see how that would be related to the PlugPlay process, but... well it's just a new monitor! It shouldn't cause such issues :mad:

Anywho, I look forward to some replies, and thanks in advance for any help you can give me. If you need me to provide any more information, just ask and I will do so :grin:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, an interesting development just occurred. Today Skype has been acting weird, freezing within moments of opening usually. I didn't see how this was relevant to my problem, so I didn't mention it. When I did get a chat opened with someone, I noticed the little alert on call quality telling me Skype could not detect a sound card. I thought, "Oh, my mic isn't plugged in, no big deal.", so I plugged it in, and yay Skype stopped freezing.

But it ALSO seems to have eliminated the svchost cpu problem at the same time. That's... awesome, I guess, but lolwut?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.