Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what happens: After a few hours of operation, svchost.exe crashes

Doesn't matter what I'm doing; Gaming, surfing, you name it.
Faulting module svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.5512, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, faulty address 0x00000000.

A few seconds will pass as I accept, and my theme will change from the start blue one to the old grey one in a few seconds and then reset to the standard XP one.

Here's what I know so far: When this happens crashes, it takes Windows Audio and a few other services with it, which I have to start again using Run/services.msc. I know which instance contains the Windows Audio service, so the problem is most likely with one of the services hosted within that particular instance of svchost.

I'm a bit lost, though. I don't know what to do because it doesn't give me an address, it doesn't tell me which service is messing up, so I need some help. I have the windows error log and a decent recollection of what has happened since that error started: I got a new X-fi sound card, a Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion. The errors coincide with me installing that card, but I can't see how that would mess up like this, though.

http://img4.imageshack.us/my.php?image=errorspx.jpg

I don't know if I'm totally off the mark here, but is it fair to assume that it is only ONE instance of svchost crashing? The screenshot above shows the svchost hosting the services that go down after the crash. I have a saved version of the program error log(Right click on This Computer, administrate, System tools/Log/Program)

I have searched far and wide on the internet, and tried all kinds of solutions. Others have had this problem, and it has been linked with the "Automatic Updates" service, but that did nothing for me, whether deleted the whole Windows Update service and re-registered the DLLs, in short, even though I replaced the Windows Update service and everything related to it, with fresh copies generated by Windows itself. Another related problem I found was the same message, and the same symptom: svchost crashing some time after a bootup. There was a hotfix for this, but...

I'm already using Windows XP Pro, with Service Pack 3, which contains this update and others addressing such issues. And I have zero malware on this computer. Am I looking at a faulty product here? Damaged ram?

Lastly, I have a copy of my error log, containing about 2 months before this error started.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DVZTRVWR

Any help appreciated, I'm going mad just from not knowing where exactly the problem lies... :(

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.