Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I encountered this problem once before in Windows XP Home edition SP3.
I looked it up and found some suggestions. According to the sites, it usually occurs when you leave the auto update on.
Now I have moved to Windows 7 Ultimate, and encounter this problem again.
The sites from before said that those solutions will only work for XP. How am supposed to fix this problem on 7?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
sorry, but there's a more pressing matter now.
I kept end process to the svchost but it keep reappearing. I was fed up and decided to move the file svchost.exe out of system 32.
Things were back to normal for some time (for around 2 hours probably), and then my laptop went to bluescreen.
Now I can't turn it on. There's only blackscreen with my pointer there and can be moved around but do nothing.
Should I just reinstall the OS?

·
Visiting Expert, Microsoft Support Team
421 Posts
svchost.exe is a critical Windows process, Windows cannot run without it. If you know how to run the recovery console from your Windows installation disc, move svchost back where it belongs.

Have you seen this link? The svchost memory/CPU leak is just a glitch, and this contains instructions on how to fix it. Let me know if you need further information.

http://www.technibble.com/how-to-fix-svchost-using-100-cpu-memory-leak/

·
Moderator , - Microsoft Support
7,742 Posts
Hi, use your copy of the 7 dvd and boot from it use the option "repair your computer" select system restore, go back to before you had the problem.. Svchost is a windows system file and there will be many instances of this process running on your computer. You cannot use the fix above it applies to XP. This fix should work though:-

This is a .bat file (zipped) that repairs WU (windows update). Run the zip then right click on the resultant .bat file select "run as administrator" Restart to take effect.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/attachments/windows-vista-windows-7-support/79331d1285795090-vista-update-issues-resetwu.zip

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.