Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I was just wondering if this was normal. I've included a screen shot to show what I'm talking about, but I'll also explain.

The Firefox process uses a normal allocation considering I have 2 or 3 open with multiple tabs. However, the SCV host has two processes. One started when I began doing my new windows updates, which I'll disregard that one assuming that's actually the windows update process sucking stuff up.

The first one however, is 90, 752 KB using, and as of this post..has gone up to 118,660. I am torrenting a file, not illegally. I am downloading patches for a game and one of the mirrors had it as a torrent file, so I don't know if that would make it that bloated.

However, at the time of my screen shot..I had closed my BitComet program. Is that a normal size for a SVC host process to take? I currently have Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit.

Attachments

·
Enthusiast
2,865 Posts
Yes that looks normal to me.
It all depends on what your system is set up to do.
I currently have 12 instances of it running. Each doing its own thing.

Service Host is a generic name for the way that windows runs background services.
Essentially it is a grouping of DLLs that need to run together to perform a function.
For example Tcp/ip use may require Dhcp, a dns client, and some other services in order for you to be able to be on the internet.

Try this link and get a copy of Process Explorer.
It is a much more detailed version of task manager that will help you to see what the svchost is actuall handling.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.