Tech Support banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not really a problem, but a general question.

I have Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's. I have before hooked up another set of speakers to my surround out on the soundcard, but received no sound, even with the computer's audio set to a 5.1 setting. I marked this up to the sound card seeing a mismatch in impedances. So I'm thinking that if I buy another Klipsch 2.1 setup, that problem should be taken care of. I have thought of buying the Klipsch 7.1 (5.1?) system, but I would rather not lose the THX spec because it really does make a difference. Which puts me at buying a matching set. That would be a 4.2 setup, but I don't really need any extra surrounds because these have a great dispersion pattern, and the imaging is good enough to not call for a center channel.

So the question is, if I buy another 2.1 setup, will the sound card play the surround channels? Since someone will ask, the card is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE.

·
Registered
796 Posts
So the question is, if I buy another 2.1 setup, will the sound card play the surround channels? Since someone will ask, the card is a Sound Blaster Audigy SE.
That depends on if what you are playing is designed for 5.1. As far as I know, the programs have to be written to be played in 5.1... otherwise, you will just get Stereo. If you think about it, a computer really can't "pick out" what needs to be played on the surrond speakers... it has to be told. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe I should clarify. I watch movies. I listen to musick. I also make musick. I belive there are surround channels in all of these, and there will especially be surround in the music I create.

·
Registered
796 Posts
There doesn't have to be surround channels in all of these. Only if it says on the media box. I can buy movies that don't have surround sound capabilities... What are you making music with that creates surround sound?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For final mixing I use Audition 1.5 (2 seems too bloated for me). It has a small surround channels utility. It's possible I'm confusing it with Acid Pro 5 or 6 which I have, tho of those I almost never use anything but the Dx effects plugins thru Audition. Which is to say, that surround channel utility might have been a Sony Dx plugin I was fooling with thru Audition.

It doesn't "create" surround sound exactly, but it will route the tracks to the surround channels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.