Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new here. The reason I post here is this one:
I am running Windows XP. I have a 5.1 Realtek ALC883 on-board sound card with the latest drivers installed. I configured all settings from the Realtek Sound Manager and in Sound and Audio Devices in Control Panel, but I can't get surround sound on Windows Sounds, Windows Applications (like IE, Mozilla, Messenger etc) and in some games, like Half-Life 1. In some new games I get Surround Sound, and even in Winamp or WMP. What should I do to get surround sound for every Windows application ?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
When you say you can't get surround sound for Windows sounds, do you mean that you only hear those sounds from your front two speakers (left and right), and not the other three.

Just to be clear, you already went into Sounds and audio devices and set it for 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers, correct?

For starters, we'll begin with some codecs:

K-Lite Codec Pack Standard 3.5.7
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/KLite_Codec_Pack_Standard/1094057842/2

while installing that, it'll give you a chance to "customize" the setup. There, you can change the speakers from 2.1 to 5.1, let's see if that works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, you're right. I've set 5.1 Surround Speakers in Sounds and Audio Devices. And I already have K-Lite installed. Next step ?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
back to first question:

When you say you can't get surround sound for Windows sounds, do you mean that you only hear those sounds from your front two speakers (left and right), and not the other three.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I don't suppose this thing has a "matrix" button. When I got my logitech x-540 speakers, I only got sound out of two of my speakers, part of the time. I spent hours trying to figure out why with no luck. Then I accidentally hit matrix button (turning matrix off), and then everything was fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know what do you exactly mean. What is a matrix button ? What does it do ? Anyway, when I switched to Vista, I was able to hear from every speaker in any application. Even though the rear channels were almost "dead", because the sound was very weak, I was able to use every channel. And without touching a button :)
What about K-Lite ?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Well, at the very least, I'd try reinstalling K-Lite.

For the record, do you hear "any" sounds coming from those other speakers? In other words, are the sounds, if any, coming from those other speakers really "quiet"?

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I assume you already checked all the cables to make sure that not loose, correct?

You said that the speakers "used to" work properly, do have any ideas as to what might have changed since then?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the speakers used to work properly only on vista, not xp... i'm having this problem since i first installed xp. the cables are properly plugged. i double-checked this. I don't know, maybe it's from my sound card, but I didn't find anything on the web similar to my problem.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what these are:

High Definition Audio Codecs
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

"The ALC883 series 7.1+2 Channel High Definition Audio (HDA) codecs are compliant with Microsoft's UAA (Universal Audio Architecture)."

http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&ProdID=44

I'm assuming that you originally installed this one:

AC'97 Audio Codecs
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=8&PFid=14&Level=3&Conn=2

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, the latest.. R1.82. But it is no difference, wether I install R1.41 or R1.82.. I still can't get surround sound...

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Did you try reinstalling those codecs, it's possible that some of the volume controls for a specified video format got changed to zero.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.