Tech Support banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 and I'm giving this away to my dad for him to learn and play along.

The other day, I was trying to do a Factory Reset to my Surface Pro 4 tablet using the provided options (Reset this PC -> Get Started -> Remove Everything) but while the process was going okay - it did not completely reset the Surface Pro 4 into a factory fresh slate.

Upon my observations, while at the "Resetting this PC" stage, the progress percentage was going along fine - but halfway through the reset process (along the 23% mark), it sudden took me to the "Choose an option" part. I then select "Troubleshoot" then "Reset This PC" and afterwards, I choosed "Remove Everything" -> "Fully Clean The Drive". I then got an error stating "There was a problem resetting your PC". I then restarted my Surface Pro 4 and all of my previous stuff that was on there - remained intact (and the "No changes were made" statement was displayed).

The version of Windows 10 Pro is version 1909 with build 18363.752.

I wanted to know if there is a way for me to completely reset the Surface Pro 4 tablet into a factory fresh state?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
Download the Windows 10 ISO image and burn it to a USB Flash drive using the Media Creation tool. Put the flash drive in and do an Install of Windows 10 it will ask if you want to keep your files or not. If this fails,
Do a clean install Boot from the USB Flash Drive choose your Language, choose Custom Install, Here, delete ALL partitions and go Next. Windows will install partitions, and format then during the Windows install.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Download the Windows 10 ISO image and burn it to a USB Flash drive using the Media Creation tool. Put the flash drive in and do an Install of Windows 10 it will ask if you want to keep your files or not. If this fails,
Do a clean install Boot from the USB Flash Drive choose your Language, choose Custom Install, Here, delete ALL partitions and go Next. Windows will install partitions, and format then during the Windows install.
Thanks for your suggestion. I apologize for the delay in response on getting back to you.

Apart from that, do I need to ensure that the Surface Pro 4 is removed from my Microsoft Account prior to do a clean install of the device?

·
Registered
40,770 Posts
If you sign in with a Microsoft Account, you account is on the Microsoft Servers and it will acknowledge that this device has been used before.
Also your product key is saved in the Bios, so you won't need to type it in to activate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts