Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several Kingston flash drives which are older only says it supports
Windows XP and VIsta. Is it possible to make it so can use it on a Windows 7
computer ? At the moment when I try to use it on Windows 7 it doesn't recognize the drive AND doesn't show up on right bottom system tray.
Is there a way to convert the Kingston Flash drive so can be used for
Windows 7 as well ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
40,889 Posts
All USB flash drives work on all modern Windows OS's since Windows 98, including Windows 7. The driver is embedded in the Windows OS.
With the drive attached, go to Start/Search and type devmgmt.msc and press enter. In the Device Manager, are there any devices with a yellow mark? Or under Universal Serial Bus Controllers is there an Unknown Device? If so, right click it and choose Uninstall. Then unplug the Flash Drive from the computer. If there is no error in the Device Manager, you did not get a drive letter in Computer, but you did get a New Hardware Found when you plugged it in, then go to Start/Search and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. See if your Flash Drive is showing up here. It may have been assigned a drive letter that another device or mapped network drive is using, you can right click it and choose Change Drive Letter or Path.
If not, Restart the computer and when it comes back up, plug the USB drive back into the Back USB port of the computer not the front or through a Hub (as these are lower powered ports). If that does not work, try it on another computer. The drive may be bad.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
I am having this problem with My friends Dell with Vista installed It will not install drivers for a cruz thumb drive or my external drive. I believe it is malware or a driver privileged issue.

Perhaps a rootkit virus.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.