Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, first off hello! This is my first post and I am in desperate need of assistance. I stumbled on this site while trying to solve this problem and seemingly after trying tons of options, have not gotten any further.

My Specs:
EVGA 790i SLI FTW Mainboard
Intel Q9550 w/ stock cooler
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3 1600 (CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 Model #)
Corsair 750W PSU
XFX Radeon 5850HD 1GB
Maxtor 80GB 5400RPM HD (I know, this HD is OLD! I'm also thinking this may be the problem...?)
Seagate 320GB External USB HD

CPU is OC'd to 3Ghz w/ 7.5x Multiplier and synced w/ ram at 1600 FSB. Memory timings are stock: 8-8-8-24 2T @ 1.65V. Been running at these settings for quite a while w/ no problems whatsoever.

Also just FYI - I just purchased a brand new WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6G to replace my long overdue and aging Maxtor drive, but I have not received it yet. It was on my list of things to replace for quite some time.

So, here is the story:

DAY 1:
I've had my 790i SLI FTW board for almost two years now. Never had any sorts of problems whatsoever. If I'm going to be gone for an extended period of time, I will shut the computer down, otherwise I usually put it in sleep mode. Anyways, I get home the other day after a couple of days of being gone and boot the computer up. Post screen pops up normal - CPU detected fine, memory detected fine, hard drives & cd drive detected fine, and then I get an error at the bottom stating something to the effect of: "PS/2 Mouse Error or PS/2 Mouse Not Connected," and it hangs there. Keyboard will not respond at all. This error is also strange b/c both my mouse & keyboard are wireless and USB...

I then reboot it and get the same error. Turn it off, unplug power from PSU, plug in and restart. Upon immediate restart I notice things are not right b/c each post line is writing across the screen SUPER slow. HD light shows activity, but it's incredibly slow. I can hit 'delete' to enter BIOS or 'escape' for boot choice, but it literally takes at least 10-15 mins just to load into either, and even when I'm in the BIOS, every action moves at a crawl. So, I restart again and leave it alone, and it takes at least 25-30 mins to actually move from post screen and boot into Windows Vista x64. Once it actually booted into the OS, everything ran absolutely fine as if nothing ever happened. So, I ran virus scan - found nothing. Ran windows updates and reboot. Upon reboot, I encountered the same super slow boot-up process all over again.

So, I popped the Vista disc in to try and boot from that and run the repair program, however, right as it was about enter the disc menu, I received this error:

"BOOTMGR image is corrupt. The system cannot boot."

DAY 2:
I removed one stick of RAM and unplugged the HD to see if that produced different results, but POST is still just as slow. I removed the battery and cleared the CMOS. I got it to boot into windows once but stupid windows updates forced it to shutdown while I ran to the store. Since that point, I have not been able to get it to boot into windows. It gets to the point right before Windows loading screen and just hangs. HD light shows activity and computer responds with beeping when a button is pressed, but nothing happens. I let it sit there for 30+ mins and it did nothing.

I then went and grabbed the SeaTools diagnostic, got it running after 10 mins of bootup, and ran the short test -- it checked out OK and had no errors whatsoever. However, even when it loads up the diagnostic program, everything is SOOOO sloooow! I mean it literally crawls and you can see the graphics being drawn across the screen. I just don't get what could be causing that? And after some calculations, I discovered that if I would let the Long Test run it's course, it would take somewhere around 127 hrs b/c of how slow everything was moving, so I quit it.

I even downloaded the Ultimate Boot Disc and it gets to loading the first command line: "ISOLINUX 3.86 2010-04-01 ETCD Copyright 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al," but then hangs. Meanwhile, hitting any keyboard button produces an elongated beep, but nothing else.

After searching some forums, some people said they thought the uber slowness could be caused by my graphics card. So, I pulled the graphics card, but there was also no change. PC was still slow-booting.

So, as of right now, I'm at my wit's end here. :upset: My new drive will be here tomorrow and I can install that to see what happens, but I'm not sure what I'm going to encounter at this point. Anyways, sorry for such a long post... I had been posting this on EVGA's forum over the last 3 days and had to summarize it here. If someone could offer some advice at this point, I will be all ears!!

·
Networking Team |Tech
4,117 Posts
Hi MaelstormB,

Can you boot your computer up into "Safe Mode" ok? If so, try performing a "Check Disk Repair" and see if that helps you out. Here is the instructions link on how to perform a check disk repair: Check your hard disk for errors

Hope everything works out well for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey DBCooper, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I cannot even get it to boot into safe mode... Nothing seems to be working. :/

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Try setting the motherboard back to default bios settings most of them have some function key to load defaults then re-test. Its either the motherboard ram or cpu since all other peripherals have been removed. try each stick of ram 1 at a time as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I have reset the CMOS and booted default factory settings and still no luck. I've also already tried swapping out sticks of RAM, but nothing changes. Swapped out my DVD burner for another cd burner that I had and things seemed to improve where I could actually get the Ultimate Boot CD to bootup, unlike before w/ the dvd drive, but it's still slow going. I've been talking over at the EVGA forums and one of the moderators seems to think it is OS related and told me to seek out either a sata dvd drive to boot the Vista disc and repair, or figure out a way to boot Vista or 7 from a usb flash drive and run the repair that way.

·
ROG Enthusiast
1,497 Posts
Have you replaced your old 80GB with the new 1TB and tried booting then?

EDIT: Never mind i see this post was posted today :tongue:

Just out of interest what temp's does your BIOS tell you when you manage to get into the BIOS? It may be an overheating issue if its overclocked on the stock cooler.

What temps did you computer used to idle at when it was working and OC'd?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yup, just got the new sata hd today, but I'm at work so I won't be able to put it in until I get home later on. I'll keep you guys posted though once I try it.

As for the temps - nothing out of the ordinary. 35-39° CPU idle and during heavy loads it would only get up between 45-48° (while overclocked). OC should not have caused any major heat increase considering it was such a minimal jump. The MCP, however, concerned me b/c it was running stock around 57-60°'s + at idle before all of this. I've done some research and discovered that nForce board MCP's run particularly hot due to completely insufficient cooling, and I even saw some people perform some fan mods for the south bridge to keep temps down. So, despite knowing that, I haven't paid much attention and just tried to provide another fan in the front of the case to increase airflow throughout the case. Anyways, I've since cleared the CMOS and returned to factory defaults for BIOS, so CPU is no longer overclocked which I'm thinking there should not be a temp issue at this point. At the same time, it's hit or miss being able to get into the BIOS at all b/c my keyboard doesn't always respond at initial boot and post...

UPDATE: So, I got home and threw in a Vista x64 Recovery Disc I was able to grab online at work, but it gets right to the Windows Loading Screen and I get a blue screen. I try a number of different things including hooking up my new SATA drive, which produces no new results. As a final option, I decide to pull the heatsink and fan off and take a look at the cpu. Everything looks fine, I clean it up, throw some new thermal paste on top and reseat the heatsink and fan. Boot up - still the same old. UGH!! I'm at my wit's end here... at this point I'm thinking it's probably some part on the mainboard that actually went b/c everything I've tried has failed and I've spent probably close to 25+ hrs pouring over this thing. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
So, after trying almost every possible option in the book, I'm finally coming to the conclusion that something on the mobo is not working properly, and it's time to call it. Unfortunately, I've owned the 790i FTW for almost 3 years (as of sept 2011) and I realized upon checking EVGA's support site that I never registered the damn thing... therefore I'm just assuming at this point consider the time frame that they won't do an RMA. So, I'm now looking to purchase either an i5 or i7 2600k LGA 1155 cpu. What would you guys recommend is a better bang for my buck and performance? Also, what would any of you recommend for a mobo? One consideration while choosing a mobo is that I have no need for RAID support since I don't plan on using it. But I'll take any suggestions w/ or w/out.

Okay this is strange, but I finally was able to get computer to boot into Vista last night, despite a 40-45 min load time from post to windows login. Once in the windows environment, everything runs absolutely beautifully. So, something is causing the PC to slow boot... a driver, bios setting, voltage (maybe)... I just cannot seem to nail it down at all. It makes it particularly difficult though to search the bios when every action moves at a crawl, and with every change to any setting, it takes like 15 seconds to redraw the bios screen. However, while I was in windows last night, I was able to back up my drive and I now have my new sata drive and windows 7, so I'm going to try a complete fresh W7 install on the sata drive once I get back next week.

In the meantime, any suggestions as to why the slow boot is occurring and what it might be?

ok please someone save me....

·
ROG Enthusiast
1,497 Posts
If your wanting pure power i would go for an I7 960 8 threads is nice to have. They also overclock pretty well BUT not as well as the new 2600K versions. They can overclock allot better than slandered I7's but im happy with my 960 at 4GHz.

As for Motherboards got for good brands such as Asus,evga.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.