Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ridiculously high CPU usage for what seems to be no real reason.. At first I assumed it was some sort of virus, or malware but after scanning and restarting multiple times the issues have persisted. I don't know what's going on but I'm getting 100% usage and I've never actually seen that happen in over a year of using this PC.

Specs

OS - Win7
CPU - Sandy Bridge i5 2500k 3.3gh
RAM - Crucial ballistix sport 2x4, PNY Optima 1x4
GPU - Evga FTW 680 4k
Motherboard - Asus P8Z77-V
PSU - NZXT 550w

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post but I hope it is! And please let me know if there is any other information I need to provide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems to be - Whichever game I'm running, Chrome, then the third switches around between svchost.exe (netsvcs) and Skype/teamspeak. This concerns me a lot because I'm not even running say; a streaming software (OBS) which I use to do quite a lot.

·
TSF Moderator , Hardware Team , Networking Team
10,936 Posts
Question: Why would you want your computer NOT to use all available resources? IOW, what's the purpose of having a fast CPU, lots of RAM, screaming video card, SSDs etc. if you don't even want the computer to them? :confused:

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
can I just point out that your running a lower quality power supply and your cutting it close with only 550w on your system.

I have the same processor and a gtx 670 and I am runng a good quality 650w but I am also overclocked.

I would be supprised if your 550w psu is actually anywhere near 550w.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
which 550w version i.e model number is it because there are several 550w 99% of them are made by fsp and sirtec which have high failure rates and 1% are made by superflower who only make two reliable units and they are both under their own name superflower. They are the superflower lazer and superflower sunbeam.

check your voltages in the BIOS for the 12v, 3.3 and 5v readings and post back.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
if it is the hale82 750-m then it is made by seasnic the best manufacturer if its not the m then its made by sirtec which is one of the worst.

·
Enthusiast
16,762 Posts
now check in hardware monitor they are the same and if the are run something intensive with hardware monitor in the background and see if the drop or increase by 5%

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have another thing you might want to check, as my brother had a similar problem recently. I opened up task manager and tapped on the "Performance" tab, then "Resource Monitor." Once there, go to "CPU" and click each process seperately. The graph on the upper right-hand side should show a green maxxed-out line, and an orange one representing how much CPU this process is using. See which process is using the most CPU, and see if you can do anything about it, so to speak. I found a trojan called "dgen" and after disabling, my usage dropped to 18% on average while standby.

See what you find and get back to me?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.