Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put together a new system,

in advance had reas as much about each of the components I selected as I could find. Read some articles where people had had problems with high temperatures with the AMD790 series chipsets, so wanted to monitor temperatures closely as soon as possible to verify whether I am having any such issues.

My motherboard does not come with any temperature monitoring software, so I am looking for a good third party solution. I often reference tweakguides, and the author there recommends a choice of three (RealTemp, TempCore, and SpeedFan), two of which, after reading the readme files, I don't believe will work with my particular CPU (AMD Triple-Core Phenom X3-8650).

So that left me with SpeedFan, which seems to be a popular one (is also recommended by the sticky titled "Important Processor Cooling Information" within these forums).

I installed it, and saw some strange readings, the titles used weren't comprehensive enough that I could tell which temperature referred to which location, and the one that alarmed me was that one of them was at 127 degrees Celsius. I thought that might be to obtaining some reading of a circuit that doesn't actually exist (and perhaps the open circuit defaults to the max temp which might be 127 Celsius), but didn't want to take any chances, shut down immediately (and now researching on my laptop).

So I wanted to ask if anyone could recommend a third party temperature monitoring software:

AOne that will work with my system:
CPU: AMD Triple-Core Phenom X3-8650
Mainboard: ECS A790GXM-A

and that is comprehensive, or at least configurable enough that one can rename the fields (temp locations and fans) so that they are comprehensive)

or if someone could help me understand how to better use SpeedFan (preferably starting off by verifying my thoughts about the 127 Celsius reading).

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wanted to provide more information, here are some images...

I am fairly confident that the reading of 127 Celsius is a false reading, I verified that it is indeed the max value (on the graph).
So I rebooted, immediately ran SpeedFan, and the one was at 127 C even though I had just booted up after a good 40 minutes of inactivity.
Here is what my SpeedFan results looked like at this time:

I also re-red the readme of third party CoreTemp utility and discovered hat my processor is indeed compatible, so downloaded that, ran it and get this result:

It only detects one location for reading temperature nd is giving a low temp, at only 19 to 20 C even after running for a half an hour.

I think I may need to determine and add an offset somehow. There is a slight chance that this reading could be accurate as I am running in a CoolerMaster 690 case, with with total 5 fans running and minimal hardware. Though then again, I think the room temperature is higher than that, so it is likely false.

So any suggestions as to how I can set up either of these utilities to give me comprehensive and accurate info? Neither of the sites I downloaded from have any information as to how to use tools or do any configuring, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Looking at both SpeedFan and CoreTemp, they both show about the same core temp. These are always showing between 18 and 20 C. I think that that is not an accurate reading - I think that CPUs run at a minimum of 30 C (?)

So wanted to ask, do we need to somehow determine an offset? I have seen options to add an offset temp somewhere in the configurable settings.

In CoreTemp:
Tools - Settings - Temperature Offset
(which is the third field from the top of the list)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cputhermometer didn't work for me either (though I wonder if it might if I reboot to set a driver up).

For now, I am using CoreTemp. Though not ideal, at least I have some indication of what the temp in my CPU is. I read that many AMD multi-cores only have one thermocouple circuit to monitor the CPU, and that its not directly integrated, so there is some thermal gradient between the core and the sensor.

From reading here and other forums, I am guessing that my actual core temp may vary from 3 to 15 Celsius from whats being reported. So I added a 15 Celsius offset (Tools-Settings-Temperature Offset), and am now idling at 37. Thats probably an overestimate while idling, but I figure it'll give me a good factor of safety if temperature ramps up rapidly.

I'll still take a look at Everest and some others, but I think that my capabilities are limited by my chip (one sensor, bad location).

Thanks for the suggestions and advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Tyree,

I had been running the PC for a few hours today, checked CoreTemp reading, then restarted-entered BIOS in order to check temp there, anticipating a difference and would have adjusted the offset accordingly.

Coincidentally, they happened to give the same reading. So perhaps 15 Celsius is a good offset, at least for my particular chip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.