Tech Support banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a old IBM thinkpad (92') and I want to run a small gui linux version on it mainly gonna be users for internet and email. The kicker is i need it to be able to use a wireless card. It also has to be free any suggestions

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You're looking for a free wireless card? Let me know when you find a place to get free hardware, I want to stand in that line too. :)

·
Watching from the shadows
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I am looking for a small free GUI based OS that will support wireless network cards. All I am gonna use the machine for is to do things on the web and check mail

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
Well, if you have a broadband connection, or a friend with one, you can download RedHat Linux for free. :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
If this machine will have a CDROM, you can check out Knoppix, which can boot and run from CD and ideally would be what you're looking for since the size is under 650 megs since its all running from CD! Otherwise my next suggestion would be slackware, but you'd have to trim the fat from it (not that theres alot to begin with)

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
You can probably find a much smaller distribution, but any distribution is going to be hundreds of megabytes I would imagine.

I guess from the "too big" comment that you don't have broadband, correct? I think if you check around local computer stores, you can find versions of Linux for $10 or so on CD.

·
Citizen of the world
51,041 Posts
I'm sure you can find a linux distribution that will run comfortably on that drive, and you can tailor it to remove most of the extra stuff. OTOH, I think your desire for a GUI might bloat it some, Linux is pretty lean and mean without the GUI, but it adds a lot of overhead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.